• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate History in Star Trek Part 17: Early Video Games (and non-video Games)

Star Trek games often struggled with living up to the values of the show (in particular early video games that were focused on shooty bangy stuff)
Reminds me of a lot of Doctor Who games. In particular 1992's Dalek Attack, where the famously pacifist Doctor just runs around blowing stuff up.

This is a great article but I'm slightly marking it down for talking about how Trek bled into generalised pop cultural references in the eighties while not putting in a reference to Star Trekkin' by The Firm. ("It's worse than that, it's physics, Jim")

To my regret the only Star Trek video game I've ever played is Birth of the Federation, which was a pretty amazing Trek-themed Master of Orion clone and if the largest maps had been about twice or three times the size they were, I'd probably still be playing it. It's a sandbox game, so it's quasi-AH; I think the most overt it gets to AH is some of the defeat and victory screens, in which you have a fairly extended voiceover from the generic character representative of your faction which... honestly were better than about ninety percent of endings screens in the nineties. There wasn't much visually and they made me realise that a well-written and well-acted ending could be so much better than some random, contextless FMV.

This is a great article but I'm slightly marking it down for talking about how Trek bled into generalised pop cultural references in the eighties while not putting in a reference to Star Trekkin' by The Firm. ("It's worse than that, it's physics, Jim")
I must admit I never thought to bring that up because I cannot internalise the idea that anyone wasn't already familiar with that, which rather proves your point.

Back