• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate History General Discussion

Sliders but it's Gary Oswald travelling to alternate reality North Easts and Go North East is somehow operating in every one of them
Imagine one filmed ten, even five, years ago.

"I'm in a universe where everybody lives in giant bubbles, spinach is the main currency and hyper-intelligent cows have the vote. And a pacer is screaming over the arches at the Tyne Bridge end of Askew Road."

Imagine one filmed ten, even five, years ago.

"I'm in a universe where everybody lives in giant bubbles, spinach is the main currency and hyper-intelligent cows have the vote. And a pacer is screaming over the arches at the Tyne Bridge end of Askew Road."
Kevin Feige: Thank you for that Dr. Strange 2 pitch, Mr. Geordie. Very unique, very interesting. Our only question is can you fit in an extended John Krasinski cameo where he’s decked out in a blue jumpsuit, taking about Incursions?

Would unironically watch this.
An involuntary cross-time traveler being able to stay alive because his loyalty card keeps inexplicably working in every iteration of the same chain restaurant or coffee shop in every timeline would be a great device for a series like that. You introduce it as a joke that OTL Britain and Modern Roman Britain and Commonwealth Britain all have the same knock-off Starbucks chain and then use it to explain why the traveler doesn't starve to death and can always find a bathroom to use even though the economic system and money all change beyond recognition with every jump.

And then, at the end, when he snaps under the strain of thinking he'll never see his home and family again and starts ranting about the truth of his situation in the middle of the Cyberpunk Danelaw Britain location, the staff drag him into the back and tell him not to do that in front of the statics, because the business has been deliberately seeded across time by the big organization of travelers that the much less successful second season is about.

An involuntary cross-time traveler being able to stay alive because his loyalty card keeps inexplicably working in every iteration of the same chain restaurant or coffee shop in every timeline would be a great device for a series like that. You introduce it as a joke that OTL Britain and Modern Roman Britain and Commonwealth Britain all have the same knock-off Starbucks chain and then use it to explain why the traveler doesn't starve to death and can always find a bathroom to use even though the economic system and money all change beyond recognition with every jump.

And then, at the end, when he snaps under the strain of thinking he'll never see his home and family again and starts ranting about the truth of his situation in the middle of the Cyberpunk Danelaw Britain location, the staff drag him into the back and tell him not to do that in front of the statics, because the business has been deliberately seeded across time by the big organization of travelers that the much less successful second season is about.
I like that, it's like a more modern take on the 'little shop that wasn't there yesterday' concept but it's a ubiquitous chain instead.

this might be completely random, but I am looking for a story here and I can not seem to find it. From what I remember, it was how about how Europa or one of Jupiter's moons was the last veistige of humanity because everyone else in the solar system had gone missing. If you know what I am talking about, could you direct me to it?

this might be completely random, but I am looking for a story here and I can not seem to find it. From what I remember, it was how about how Europa or one of Jupiter's moons was the last veistige of humanity because everyone else in the solar system had gone missing. If you know what I am talking about, could you direct me to it?
I believe the story you're looking for is "Deep Night", which is on another site and can be read here.

That would be a pretty good story <grin>

Go read Deep Night, it’s incredible.

So WRT to the non-Russian SSRs and nuclear weapons, it's important to note that "unusable" due to the launch codes and stuff being back in Russia only meant "not immediately usable". The technical capacity to overcome that was there. Ukraine was the most obvious one because of all its facilities, including the missile production, but Kazakhstan with its uranium plants was also already over the biggest hump for any weapons program.

Of course, technical is not the same as political and (especially) financial ability.

Are there any timelines which explore the effects of human civilization arising a few thousand years earlier, either before the last ice age or after it recedes?

Back