• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate History General Discussion

Wondering where a good enough place to put the hypothetical "African Singapore" (country that can achieve massive non-resource based economic growth and increase in living standards) that @Gary Oswald talked about in his "Africa Without The Scramble" post would be.

Somewhere in the Horn of Africa would be the obvious choice. It's a strategic location for international trade and also regional trade between East Africa and the Middle East.

Wondering where a good enough place to put the hypothetical "African Singapore" (country that can achieve massive non-resource based economic growth and increase in living standards) that @Gary Oswald talked about in his "Africa Without The Scramble" post would be.

A good place would be on the shipping routes between Suez and East Asia- that’s where Singapore is afterall.

This leaves the Horn of Africa, however it doesn't have too many good harbors. Socotra is an ideal condition, but it has no good harbors. Berbera or Tadjourna could be good candidates- historically they were important port cities which could capitalize on their location and navigate prosperity through trade with a hostile hinterland.

Here's a question that struck me when I was reading about France 1940.

In Nazi Germany, were there any senior military officers/commanders who'd been high-ranked (generals, for example) in 1914-18? I don't mean Ludendorff and people like him - i mean people who were actually formulating tactics and/or leading men into battle.

Chris

Others have posted good suggestions in the Horn, so if we look at the Atlantic seaboard, Dakar, Abidjan, and Lagos might have some promise, but Singaporification would require trade and cultural linkages that go beyond the hinterland, so would need an early colonial POD.

Cape Verde is an option

With no Union of South Africa in 1910 the Cape might be a possibility. A well-known SA historian (who is also probably SA's greatest curmudgeon) RW Johnson, wrote a little while ago that the 1910 Union led to the 'Transvaalification' of South Africa, mainly because of its economic clout. Of course things weren't good for POCs anywhere in Southern Africa at the time but as those things went the Cape was pretty liberal, especially compared to the Transvaal, and to a lesser degree Natal (there was a qualified franchise in the Cape for example).

With no Union we might see no apartheid in the Cape (there will still obviously be racial discrimination) and slow moves to reform. Of course, it may not attract European settlement in great numbers, many people will probably still be attracted to the gold fields of the Transvaal.

That all said, Stellenbosch in the Cape is the intellectual home of Afrikaner nationalism and even without Union in 1910 we may have seen quite close ties between the Transvaal and the Cape.

And I'm not sure we could say the Cape would be a Singapore analogue, as the old Cape Colony/Province has a surface area equal to that of France.

And here is Johnson's piece, may be of interest.

I suppose you could say that the American Civil War had shades of this as well - the abolitionist movement was very religious, that men like John Brown, William Garrison, John Rankin, and Elijah Lovejoy were its most ardent supporters shouldn’t be surprising. Conversely I have read that Southern universities was a hub of secularist thought in the US with regards to biology and the like, and that many Southerners outright denied things like a common ancestry for all races. Whatever religiosity that the South had was a result of its own traditions, whereas many Christians in the North viewed the war as a religious crusade. But then begs the question of how much of Northern religiosity comes from its Puritan heritage? It’s interesting to think about. That the South had numerous Jews in their ranks, with Judah P. Benjamin being its Secretary of State, whereas Union Generals Grant and Butler were pretty anti-Semitic in their war time behavior is another interesting contrast (Butler going so far to say that the Jews are betraying America as they betrayed Jesus).

Idea: South wins Civil War, US becomes Russia of the Western Hemisphere i.e. religious, militarist, anti-Semitic, multinational.

Back