• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Airships: Potential PoDs 6 - Rebirth

These modern airship designs are utterly bonkers and I unironically love them.

I think the most interesting factor is that the current criticism of 'celebrities talking about the need to save the planet while jetting off everywhere' feels like the perfect intersection to get that exact combination of rich, environmentally conscious and in a position to take longer to get to somewhere if needs be to see a small airship niche emerge. I have no idea if it will, but there actually looks like a potential market might exist.

It does look as though an economic niche might be opening (logically, that it is opening), but we do have the well documented hatred that the Writer of OTL has for airships. One that leads them to come up with bizarre and unrealistic scenarios to ditch them (see R101 passim); I've even come to think that the shooting of Archduke Ferdinand in 1914 with the coincidences at the time could have been part of the Writer's plan to damage airships.

I do also love the new weird designs, but I do think that HAV would be advised to sacrifice some lift to put an external envelope on their airships in order to make them look less like well-padded flying bottoms and more like, say, Thunderbird 2.

These modern airship designs are utterly bonkers and I unironically love them.

I think the most interesting factor is that the current criticism of 'celebrities talking about the need to save the planet while jetting off everywhere' feels like the perfect intersection to get that exact combination of rich, environmentally conscious and in a position to take longer to get to somewhere if needs be to see a small airship niche emerge. I have no idea if it will, but there actually looks like a potential market might exist.

It's an idea that's just sitting there that would fulfil so many needs that sometimes I just want to scream 'you idiots you morons the solution is right there have you even seen A View to a Kill?' If the 21st century sees an airship revival it will almost make all the other shite worth it.

Think all it needs for some company or individual (not Elon Musk, please this will prove the universe has it in for airships) to take the first step. Whether that happens or not is another matter.

Back