• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

AHC: Plurality neopagan state/territory

Radac

Too young, too simple, sometimes naïve
Pronouns
he/him
I was recently researching Russian administrative divisions, and found that a number of oblasts and republics have unusually high Rodnovery populations. At least part of this has to do with ethnic religions, distinct from Rodnovery but grouped alongside them, and majority-Russian areas, low population, but it was still really interesting to me how quickly they grew, especially given that they make up quite a bit of the population in some areas.

There is also a precedent for large pagan populations in the modern day. See South-western England, where pagans make up the fourth-largest religious group - though some say they're the second, or the third. Note here that "pagan" specifically refers to Western neopaganism, not traditions like Hinduism or Chinese folk religion or Shinto- basically, reconstructionist polytheistic religions, mostly in Europe and the Americas but in other places as well - with traditions highly based on modern understanding.

So thought it'd be interesting to ask whether it's possible for this kind of situation to occur in a large enough scale for there to be a plurality neopagan region, state or territory.

I was recently researching Russian administrative divisions, and found that a number of oblasts and republics have unusually high Rodnovery populations. At least part of this has to do with ethnic religions, distinct from Rodnovery but grouped alongside them, and majority-Russian areas, low population, but it was still really interesting to me how quickly they grew, especially given that they make up quite a bit of the population in some areas.

There is also a precedent for large pagan populations in the modern day. See South-western England, where pagans make up the fourth-largest religious group - though some say they're the second, or the third. Note here that "pagan" specifically refers to Western neopaganism, not traditions like Hinduism or Chinese folk religion or Shinto- basically, reconstructionist polytheistic religions, mostly in Europe and the Americas but in other places as well - with traditions highly based on modern understanding.

So thought it'd be interesting to ask whether it's possible for this kind of situation to occur in a large enough scale for there to be a plurality neopagan region, state or territory.
As an example of this, in the 2012 census 30% of North Ossetia-Alania put themselves down as Uatsdin (reconstructed Ossetian/Alan/Scythian paganism) compared to 50% Orthodox.

As an example of this, in the 2012 census 30% of North Ossetia-Alania put themselves down as Uatsdin (reconstructed Ossetian/Alan/Scythian paganism) compared to 50% Orthodox.
How "reconstructed" is this, relative to "Western" neopaganism (the type example that was basically rewoven out of whole cloth)?

How "reconstructed" is this, relative to "Western" neopaganism (the type example that was basically rewoven out of whole cloth)?
That's the part I'm not so sure about - there seems to have been a lot of syncretisation going on and some folk stuff that never completely went away, so there might be a bit too much continuity for them to count.
That being said North Ossetia does have a population of less than 700,000 people.
One has to start somewhere with this.

That's the part I'm not so sure about - there seems to have been a lot of syncretisation going on and some folk stuff that never completely went away, so there might be a bit too much continuity for them to count.
That's what I was concerned about.
Glad I wasn't going up an entirely blind alley.

Back