• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

60 Years of Dr Who. Part 7: The Seventh Doctor

I remember the fanzine Vworp Vworp interviewed some of the DWM editors and one was scathing about Death & said they were all politely listening to Freeman's ideas at one point while going "lol internally". Yet a big success at the time, now more well remembered with time, Freeman's audio dramas about the Minister got pretty strong reviews IIRC... I don't know if pushback was all down to his big changes or that Freeman was an  outsider and not a known fan-made-good who'd come up from the ranks (RTD still had an NA and multiple gushing letters to DWM)

Daily Mail science writer doubts viability of Doctor Who revival and online streaming drama.

I don't know which way round saying that is better for setup/punchline.

Did not know that Death Comes to Time was intended as a new series of radio adventures to begin with, nor that it was originally just the single pilot with Big Finish potentially taking over for a webcast series proper. Was Real Time of a similar effort? Seem to have memories that had partial flash animation and was produced by Big Finish for the BBC.

One wonders had either a regular Radio 4 series or webcasts become a thing if they would have introduced their own new Doctor a la Shalka, only for it to be cast from the canon when the television revival becomes a reality. The revival might come sooner if a radio series or the webcasts prove that people will still tune in regularly for Doctor Who.

Last edited:
Was Real Time of a similar effort? Seem to have memories that had partial flash animation and was produced by Big Finish for the BBC.

Yeah, one of the followups. There was a Shada remake with McGann too

If a new BBCi Doctor had been established before Shalka, I  think we'd have Eccleston declared the Tenth Doctor. They got stuffed by Shalka coming out a few weeks after the BBC Wales announcement, so it was already an abortive revival before it started. Banter timeline is if Death Comes To Time does a regeneration and this Eighth Doc played by [throws dart] Stewart Lee is in Real Time, Shada, and Shalka, and RTD has to dodge questions of whether McGann or Lee regenerated into Eccleston

If a new BBCi Doctor had been established before Shalka, I  think we'd have Eccleston declared the Tenth Doctor. They got stuffed by Shalka coming out a few weeks after the BBC Wales announcement, so it was already an abortive revival before it started. Banter timeline is if Death Comes To Time does a regeneration and this Eighth Doc played by [throws dart] Stewart Lee is in Real Time, Shada, and Shalka, and RTD has to dodge questions of whether McGann or Lee regenerated into Eccleston
Yeah if the BBC Wales revival comes on schedule I can't see the prospective webcast spin-off impacting it much. Likely they just ignore it, but it would be interesting of that spin-off Doctor has a continued existence in say a Big Finish series. The question then becomes do they eventually answer that question like when they brought McGann back for that mini-episode where he regenerated into John Hurt circa Alien.

They might not let Death Comes to Time do an out-and-out regeneration for McCoy, instead they just cast a wholesale new Doctor for the resulting series, much like they did for Shalka and for "Rose". Ecclestone (or whomever) might then become the tenth rather than the ninth. Can't remember when in the revival they first explicitly mentioned which regeneration the new Doctors were. Might have been implicit in "Human Nature" when Smith has the prior nine drawn in his sketchbook, though even that has been cast out the window in subsequent years via the War Doctor and Ruth.

It’s quite good, but there are some lines that were written with Tom Baker’s Doctor in mind, and don’t sound quite right spoken by McGann

I think it was Tennant telling Sarah Jane he's regenerated 'half a dozen times'

As any pedant will tell you, the previous time Sarah Jane met the Doctor was the Peter Davison’s incarnation in The Five Doctors. So Tennant’s incarnation is exactly six regenerations later, including the War Doctor.

I suspect that this wasn’t planned and the “half a dozen” was meant to be a rough count (or the writer counted from the Fourth Doctor), but it’s nice that it worked out anyway.

Back