• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Architectural AH

Yeah I was hoping not to have to do a three year undergrad course. Will research.
The thing it that we cover the history of architecture in a tiny amount. Pretty much all I ever learnt was a unit in first year and a unit in second year. Which was a 2 hour lecture once a week.

I can collect up my architectural history lecture PowerPoints (they run from the mid-1700s to the present, so not absolutely everything in architectural history) and put them here as a resource, if anyone would like that?
What course did you do out of interest?

Annoyingly I never did actually download any history lectures from undergrad and I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have access anymore.

Though I can direct for more of theoretical stuff if people are interested.

Reactions: OHC
I am interested in all of these resources seeing as this is a topic I’m into but (as my posts reveal) ignorant about.

Newcastle's equivalent of the pedways (T Dan Smith, who else?) weren't in great nick by the mid 2000s.

Unwelcoming deserted concrete. General odour of urine. Chance of running into interesting characters who were "in drink" or on something a bit less legal. Still interesting, and the sensation of being in a totally isolated space while suspended over a motorway and only a few hundred yards from Newcastle's main street (Northumberland Street) was always worth experiencing. Not been around there for years, but it was a semi-regular mooch of mine when I was at sixth form college. I used to have a Saturday job in Gateshead, and often went across to town after finishing. In fact, there was an article a while back. I think @RyanF might have linked it.

Found it: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/feb/07/brave-new-world-newcastle-dream-for-vertical-city

Ah, Emperor T. Dan's endeavour to turn Newcastle into the Brasilia of the North.

Glasgow had a similar obsession with pedways when they built the Anderston Centre in the 1970s, a combination of housing and shops that struggled by being on the wrong side of Central Station and from being a massive concrete eyesore.

They even built a pedway across Waterloo Street to a planned second phase of the development that never materialised and as of 2016 was still standing leading to a then disused block used for car parking. By the time I started working in Glasgow the travelators were long gone and after dark it became a haunt for ladies-of-the-evening.

An old classic would always be if the Wren masterplan of London post fire of London

wren1.jpg

Charles Hind saying it is “un-English” to masterplan a cityscape on that scale makes me laugh. The only “un-English” thing here is believing there are limitations on this country’s capacity to subsume and integrate styles we are not yet accustomed to.
Erm has he never heard of the garden city?

I think an interesting WI from a Americentric perspective would actually derive from the Wren plan-what if instead of hte tendency towards grid plans that originated in Savannah and Philadelphia and came to the forefront with the Comissioner's Plan for NYC, plans more in the Baroque mode with blocks interspersed with grand avenues became the main kind of urban layout? So more cities would be like Annapolis and DC with those layouts?

Another interesting architecture AH would be for neogothic to come to the fore in the 18th century-IIRC there were antecedents of that in the 1720s and various Gothic continuations of existing buildings earlier, so it would be interesting ot change how cityscapes develop.

One last point, @Guernsey Donkey -I thought modernist architecture starts in the first decade of the 20th century? the Fagus Shoe Last Factory was built in 1910 or at least started then, FLW was working by 1900 and his first buildings in a distinctive style are 1910s or so, and Louis Sullivan was working by 1900 and his most iconic buildings are from teh first decade of the 20th century.

I think an interesting WI from a Americentric perspective would actually derive from the Wren plan-what if instead of hte tendency towards grid plans that originated in Savannah and Philadelphia and came to the forefront with the Comissioner's Plan for NYC, plans more in the Baroque mode with blocks interspersed with grand avenues became the main kind of urban layout? So more cities would be like Annapolis and DC with those layouts?

Another interesting architecture AH would be for neogothic to come to the fore in the 18th century-IIRC there were antecedents of that in the 1720s and various Gothic continuations of existing buildings earlier, so it would be interesting ot change how cityscapes develop.

One last point, @Guernsey Donkey -I thought modernist architecture starts in the first decade of the 20th century? the Fagus Shoe Last Factory was built in 1910 or at least started then, FLW was working by 1900 and his first buildings in a distinctive style are 1910s or so, and Louis Sullivan was working by 1900 and his most iconic buildings are from teh first decade of the 20th century.
AEG turbine hall 1909 by peter behrens is who we are taught is the point where modern architecture starts, though tbh before looking it up i had it as a 1890s building rather than 1900s

Ok. thanks-in the US it's always Sullivan/HH Richardson/Wright and then Fagus Shoe Last. But I am mostly going off reading and not coursework. Point is, it's not a direct invention of Bahaus or Caused by WWI or htat claptrap.

Ok. thanks-in the US it's always Sullivan/HH Richardson/Wright and then Fagus Shoe Last. But I am mostly going off reading and not coursework. Point is, it's not a direct invention of Bahaus or Caused by WWI or htat claptrap.
Tbh when i was saying modernist architecture i was more referring to the international style and its derivatives into contemporary architecture. Its a major problem when modernism refers to a style 100 years old.

Back