• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Least favorite alt-history story?

Speaking of Turtledove, In the Presence of Mine Enemies was just awful. The premise is that the Nazis win the war, and we follow a German family. Then the twist: the family is Jewish, and are passing as Gentiles in order to survive persecution. This is actually a really great premise, but Turtledove wastes it by having most of the novel be about a seduction plot (and being Turtledove, this means horribly unsexy sex scenes). Finally, Turtledove tries to do parallelism with the fall of the USSR, because he can't be arsed to think through what a victorious Nazi Germany would look like.
The short story was amazing though.

The short story was amazing though.
Agreed, which is part of why the novel is so bad. Turtledove needs to stop expanding his works. His short stories don't work as novels, and his novels don't work as series. Really, the best thing would be for Turtledove to do anthologies of short stories, with a connecting theme or something.

Turtledove generally gets worse the further he gets from a PoD, the more words he writes, and the further he gets into a series. Guns of the South, How Few Remain, Ruled Britannia and the short story version of In The Presence of Mine Enemies had their flaws, but on the whole were pretty good.

The later TL-191, Worldwar Colonisation and the novel version of In The Presence of Mine Enemies were abysmal. Especially the last. What wasn't awkward seduction was even more awkward description of bridge games.

I liked Colonization. I was a teenager, but meh.

I liked Homeward Bound, too.

The Race-German War didn't make any sense but it was an enjoyable spectacle to read about and the way that Britain was slowly moving towards the Nazi orbit was genuinely creepy to read about at the time. The Race seemed to become a bit less moronic but the sex scenes became even more gratuitous and I found myself skimming PoVs to get to Molotov on more than one occasion. Homeward Bound was better.

Out of morbid curiosity, I'm having a look at the first NDCR thread. The author dutifully name-drops every far-right figure of the second half of the 20th century, and always in a positive light. Especially if they were former SS, like Kurt Waldheim--it's like he gets a boner out of redeeming SS officers, even if he has to pull them out of geriatric care to give them active duty again.

If you'd just READ the story and STOP TROLLING you'd see it's all FULLY EXPLAINED. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

The Race-German War didn't make any sense but it was an enjoyable spectacle to read about and the way that Britain was slowly moving towards the Nazi orbit was genuinely creepy to read about at the time. The Race seemed to become a bit less moronic but the sex scenes became even more gratuitous and I found myself skimming PoVs to get to Molotov on more than one occasion. Homeward Bound was better.

The Red Level: Stalingrad Tractor Factory

I thought he was talking about the movie with the dogs.

Liking that is not controversial.

Did you ever read 'Rover Red Charlie', Dom?

A post-Apocalyptic sort of 'Homeward Bound', very feel-good & upbeat (after the initial scene-setting) as well as just plain lol funny for anybody with a dog (especially how it's revealed that Red had never been to the vet for a certain little operation.)

Here's the first part, the other five are clickable from there.
http://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Rover-Red-Charlie/Issue-1?id=63664

Reactions: Dom
Did you ever read 'Rover Red Charlie', Dom?

A post-Apocalyptic sort of 'Homeward Bound', very feel-good & upbeat (after the initial scene-setting) as well as just plain lol funny for anybody with a dog (especially how it's revealed that Red had never been to the vet for a certain little operation.)

Here's the first part, the other five are clickable from there.
http://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Rover-Red-Charlie/Issue-1?id=63664

I have not but I will have a look

I'd say Declan Finn's Pius Trilogy is another really bad one. It's not intended as a "100% undeniable" alternate history, but it has enough divergences (like say, a vastly different pope) that I feel OK including it here.

The books are written by an archtraditionalist Catholic with a gigantic axe to grind. The writing was started during the Da Vinci Code craze, which does nothing but date them horribly. It's like criticizing 80s hair bands in a piece not released until 1999. Anyway, onto the books themselves. The first is about researchers of Pius XII being killed and the heroes fighting to stop them. In practice, it's 1/3 clunky action novel, 1/3 the author diving into the historical controversy surrounding him (and taking his side to a huge extent), and 1/3 author rants on stuff like how most American Catholics are too liberal and how John XXIII was a Red. And it takes itself so seriously that a scene where the pope in his super-body-armor fights off assassins who were trained from childhood in secret KGB camps is handled utterly matter-of-factly.

It only gets worse from there. Enter the North Korean-Russian-Chinese-French-Sudanese (yes, really) anti-Catholic conspiracy. In the second book,they kidnap the Pope and put him in an excuse for more authorial rants to argue with strawman opponents a trial, in a The Hague that has mysteriously moved from The Netherlands to Belgium (this is not alternate history, it's bad research). And then of course, there's the "action", which is really clunky and researched in all the wrong ways.

The third book takes the cake, for becoming silly in the worst way possible. The conspiracy gathers an army of everything from Russian paratroopers to Sudanese machete-swingers to invade the Vatican, only to be foiled by goofy booby traps. Along with more bitterly serious author rants and infodumps. When it does change tone, it's the worst kind of tone change, where the characters in-universe don't take the threat seriously, implying the reader shouldn't either. (I didn't). The setup for the "battle" is way too ridiculous to be treated at face value, especially compared to the earlier books, but the rants are there. It just has one of the most inconsistent tones I've ever seen in any work of fiction, not even the first two books.

I'd say Declan Finn's Pius Trilogy is another really bad one. It's not intended as a "100% undeniable" alternate history, but it has enough divergences (like say, a vastly different pope) that I feel OK including it here.

The books are written by an archtraditionalist Catholic with a gigantic axe to grind. The writing was started during the Da Vinci Code craze, which does nothing but date them horribly. It's like criticizing 80s hair bands in a piece not released until 1999. Anyway, onto the books themselves. The first is about researchers of Pius XII being killed and the heroes fighting to stop them. In practice, it's 1/3 clunky action novel, 1/3 the author diving into the historical controversy surrounding him (and taking his side to a huge extent), and 1/3 author rants on stuff like how most American Catholics are too liberal and how John XXIII was a Red. And it takes itself so seriously that a scene where the pope in his super-body-armor fights off assassins who were trained from childhood in secret KGB camps is handled utterly matter-of-factly.

It only gets worse from there. Enter the North Korean-Russian-Chinese-French-Sudanese (yes, really) anti-Catholic conspiracy. In the second book,they kidnap the Pope and put him in an excuse for more authorial rants to argue with strawman opponents a trial, in a The Hague that has mysteriously moved from The Netherlands to Belgium (this is not alternate history, it's bad research). And then of course, there's the "action", which is really clunky and researched in all the wrong ways.

The third book takes the cake, for becoming silly in the worst way possible. The conspiracy gathers an army of everything from Russian paratroopers to Sudanese machete-swingers to invade the Vatican, only to be foiled by goofy booby traps. Along with more bitterly serious author rants and infodumps. When it does change tone, it's the worst kind of tone change, where the characters in-universe don't take the threat seriously, implying the reader shouldn't either. (I didn't). The setup for the "battle" is way too ridiculous to be treated at face value, especially compared to the earlier books, but the rants are there. It just has one of the most inconsistent tones I've ever seen in any work of fiction, not even the first two books.

I would like to stress that I am not the author of this.

I genuinely don't remember sex scenes in Colonization, whereas the Worldwar ones left scars I'm not sure aren't still present.

I'm sorry

I thought this thread was for bad alternate history?

I genuinely don't remember sex scenes in Colonization, whereas the Worldwar ones left scars I'm not sure aren't still present.

One of the major PoV characters is a human woman who was kidnapped by the race as a baby and has subsequently been brought up as an experiment to see if humans could become loyal subjects. Her plot largely revolves around her getting urges that are obviously alien to her handlers and as such they offer her various humans which she turns down in favour of Sam Yeager's son, who agrees to go along with it only for the Race-German war to break out just before they get down to it, which leads to them both joking about getting it over with before they get blown up by Nazis. As if this wasn't already the AH version of Barbarella. There are a lot of "self-help" sessions as well that are just incredibly unsettling to read.

Back