• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Yiddish Policemen’s Union by the Coen Brother’s

Time Enough

"Enthusiastic Cis Male Partner"
Published by SLP
Pronouns
He/Him
So I’m pondering on the potential Coen Brother’s adaptation of Yiddish Policemen’s Union and so far I’ve come up with this;
Yiddish Policeman’s Union (2011)
Directed and Written for Screen by Joel and Ethan Coen

Meyer Landsman: Jason Isaacs
Berko Shemets: ?
Bina Gelbfish: Jennifer Jason Leigh
Mendel Shpilman: ?
Naomi Landsman: ?
Hertz Shemets: Albert Brooks
Verbover rebbe, Heskel Shpilman: Michael Lerner
Batsheva Shpilman: Zoë Wanamaker
Aryeh Baronshteyn: Michael Stuhlbarg
Alter Litvak: Judd Hirsch
Just gauging different casts for now as I ponder where they would film (probably in the Anchorage area, British Columbia and Yukon) and changes to the story they would do etc.

Honestly? Jason Segel might make a decent Berko Shemets.
I think even in the year 2011, that casting Jason Segel to play a half aboriginal Alaskan would probably cause some backlash. Now really the perfect casting for around now would probably be Martin Sensmeier, but I shackled myself with a hypothetical Coen Brothers version, so.

Jason Isaacs is far too pretty to be Meyer Landsman.
RDJ would make more sense for Landsman IMO.
I can Robert Downing Junior, I was thinking of Jason Isaacs due to a clip I saw of him in a British Film called Mindset (made by my old Uni tutor amusingly) and I thought Isaacs would work in that ‘faded glory’ manner.

I think even in the year 2011, that casting Jason Segel to play a half aboriginal Alaskan would probably cause some backlash. Now really the perfect casting for around now would probably be Martin Sensmeier, but I shackled myself with a hypothetical Coen Brothers version, so.
Steve Reevis, maybe? He was in Fargo.
Chris Eyre and Jonathan Joss are also options.

Zahn McClarnon is probably closest to my image of Berko Shemets, and has the comedic chops but hadn't had any major roles by 2011.

Back