• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

WI Hohenzollern Britain

Prussia, Great Britain, Hanover
  • King Alexander

Looking at the family tree of Hanoverian monarchs, it surprises me how George I was closely connected with the Hohenzollerns since his son-in-law was Frederick William the "Soldier King of Prussia". If George II died young or childless, and George I failed to produce another male heir (consider that George I had divorced his wife Sophia Dorothea) in 1694, then George I's only daughter, Sophia Dorothea (the younger) shall succeed the British crown sometime in the 1720s or earlier. I am well aware that Hanover operates the Salic Law so Sophia Dorothea's uncle, Ernest Augustus will be the new elector upon George I's death.

Sophia Dorothea was married to Frederick William in 1706 and their son, Frederick II, eventually became the King of Prussia. In this scenario, he would also be King of Britain when her mother died. What will happen in this hypothetical Anglo-Prussian Union? How would Prime Minister Walpole have dealt with a Hohenzollern Queen Sophia? How would British diplomatic strategy be affected by this dynastic union?

A few things to consider here:

I. Ernest Augustus died childless in the original timeline (OTL), if he stilled died childless in this timeline (ITTL), there will be a succession crisis in Hanover. I could theoretically foresee that the electorate will pass to his cousin Louis Rudolph, the ruler of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel. But this Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel Welf branch was quite distant from the Lüneburg branch since they had been separated since the 1300s so I can see that the claim can be disputed. Besides, Frederick William could see many benefits from supporting his wife to claim the title of electress. Hanover and Brunswick had a sizeable agriculture and mining industry in the 1700s which could be valuable for Prussia. Does it mean that a "War of Hanoverian Succession" will happen?

II. If the electorate alongside Brunswick became the property of the Prussian king, does it mean that the invasion of Silesia in OTL would not happen?

III. Could this Prince Frederick be raised in Britain instead by following his mother, I think that his father Frederick William would not oppose that since inheriting the British crown is far more valuable than the Prussian crown. Will this change his personality and style of governance?

IV. How will this Anglo-Hanoverian-Prussian Union affect the Alliance system in Europe?

V. The Georgian era was a crucial moment for the development of British parliamentary democracy, will this development be affected by a Hohenzollern era?

After all, it would be fun to see Frederick the Great becoming the King of Great Britain and Ireland, and possibly Hanover too.

Note: In case anyone is wondering why Frederick's older sister Wilhemine would not be crowned king, Great Britain in the 18th Century was adopting promigeniture so Frederick took precedence in the order of succession.

Last edited:
    Back