• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

WI: Anthony Comstock has killed during the Civil War?

What little I've read about Anthony Comstock makes wonder what effects Comstock's would have on the United States?
I had not heard of Comstock before today. What a fascinating - and, imho, unhinged - chap.

It certainly feels like Comstock was very much the whole reason his movement succeeded, and it doesn't feel like falling into Great Man theory to suggest that, sans Comstock, the moral crusade he led never really gets going.

Those who are better versed in US culture can probably identify specifics, but it certainly feels like some of his actions and attitudes have had an impact to this day.

I had not heard of Comstock before today. What a fascinating - and, imho, unhinged - chap.

It certainly feels like Comstock was very much the whole reason his movement succeeded, and it doesn't feel like falling into Great Man theory to suggest that, sans Comstock, the moral crusade he led never really gets going.

Those who are better versed in US culture can probably identify specifics, but it certainly feels like some of his actions and attitudes have had an impact to this day.
I see the the US possible being more open minded about things like gender equality and sexuality while also helping to reduce, ever so slightly, the comic book panic in the late 1940s and early 1950s.

I see the the US possible being more open minded about things like gender equality and sexuality while also helping to reduce, ever so slightly, the comic book panic in the late 1940s and early 1950s.
Video nasties of the 1980s too, perhaps.

@RyanF might have more thoughts on that.

Last edited:
Back