• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

What would John McCain's career have been like if he hadn't been shot down?

SSgtC

Just what it says on the tin. Had John McCain either been able to avoid getting hit by the SAM, or been able to nurse his aircraft South until reaching friendly lines before ejecting, what would his career have looked like? In OTL, he ended up eventually returning to flight status and commanding VA 174, the Fleet Replacement Squadron for the A-7. But this was as a Captain (VA 174 was the largest Squadron in the Navy at that time, larger than some carrier air wings). Would he have commanded a front line attack squadron eventually? And if so, how far does he go in the Navy? Would he command an air wing? A carrier? With his father being a 4 star Admiral, I think if he stays in, he makes flag rank, at least one star. But I'm not sure how much farther he would go

Just what it says on the tin. Had John McCain either been able to avoid getting hit by the SAM, or been able to nurse his aircraft South until reaching friendly lines before ejecting, what would his career have looked like? In OTL, he ended up eventually returning to flight status and commanding VA 174, the Fleet Replacement Squadron for the A-7. But this was as a Captain (VA 174 was the largest Squadron in the Navy at that time, larger than some carrier air wings). Would he have commanded a front line attack squadron eventually? And if so, how far does he go in the Navy? Would he command an air wing? A carrier? With his father being a 4 star Admiral, I think if he stays in, he makes flag rank, at least one star. But I'm not sure how much farther he would go
He would have followed his grandfather and father and become a admiral in the US Navy instead of going into politics like he did in OTL.

Back