• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

What if Poland stopped the Blitz? Part Two

The idea of a messy, four-way German/Polish/Soviet/Ukrainian war in Eastern Europe plus a Soviet/Japanese one over Manchuria is interesting, but I think the TL went off the rails with Germany becoming a nuclear power. That and the "Hitler-less Nazis" might not have been AH clichés back when this was first written, but they have definitely become so since then.

The idea of a messy, four-way German/Polish/Soviet/Ukrainian war in Eastern Europe plus a Soviet/Japanese one over Manchuria is interesting, but I think the TL went off the rails with Germany becoming a nuclear power.
I think it could happen but it would require more fundamental and dramatic changes to the regime than described here. If it just ended up as generic authoritarian military junta with the crazies purged after the Polish debacle, perhaps, but that's not as ironic as 'actually it might end up even worse in the long run if Hitler fails early' (which EdT also used in "A Greater Britain" - in which, IIRC, the neo-Nazi crazies benefit from Germany having developed under unpleasant but less nutso regimes in the meantime).

I do like how @DaleCoz said " I might write it if I can figure out a way to get to this situation with a little more plausibility" even at the time, admitting the handwave in contrast to the gauntlet-throwers who defended the plausibility of their soft settings to the bell.

This is also (And I don't mean this as any kind of insult or attack) a welcome look away from rose-tinted AH nostalgia. Knowing that handwaved TLs are not a new thing is good for keeping a full glass view of alternate history's development.

Back