• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

What if Lloyd George’s brush with the Spanish Flu had killed him?

Llamastrangler

I realise this is all rather topical for obvious reasons at the moment, but Lloyd George was struck down with the Spanish Flu in September 1918, an interesting time. What if he hadn’t survived? It’s too late, arguably, to affect the course of the war, but there are all sorts of questions as to what may happen afterwards.

I fear my knowledge of this whole area is juuust enough to make me very aware of my own ignorance, but...

- Who would have succeeded him in the short term? Presumably a Liberal, as they were the largest party? Perhaps the return of Asquith, as Liberal leader, or do the events of December 1916 make that too awkward?

- What of the imminent election, if it still happens in December? Would it still be a coupon election? Would the Tories and the Liberals be likely to decouple, presumably depending on who leads the Liberals? If no coupon, who would win?

- Could a Liberal split be prevented, or perhaps work out differently?

- What about Versailles, and the other peace treaties, with a different PM?

- What of the post-Sevres kerfuffle between Greece and Turkey with a different, less anti-Turkish, British PM?

- What about Ireland? Particularly if Bonar Law wins the election?

To me it seems a potentially explosive POD, and a difficult tiger to ride. Or am I over-dramatising?

Last edited:
Back