• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

War of the Worlds in Real Time

Wonder if they're going to make Thunder Child an oddball like the historical Polyphemus "torpedo ram" or the usual pre-dread battleship it's depicted as in most visualizations.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Wonder if they're going to make Thunder Child an oddball like the historical Polyphemus "torpedo ram" or the usual pre-dread battleship it's depicted as in most visualizations.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Time will tell.

I know that a character from Thunder Child is involved in the story.

Beyond that, your guess is as good as mine.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

I won't spoil the surprise, but both HMS Thunder Child, and a certain Marine Lieutenant Carver have significant roles in our retelling.

So long as it remembers Harry Morant was a loathsome piece of shit, not a heroic paragon.

Fascinating this guy's got a hero cult I've never heard of before.

The hero cult has a great story, and frankly I wouldn’t be surprised if there had been dodgy off-books orders by Kitchener because, well, there are obvious reasons why that’s plausible.

It’s just that Morant’s defenders forget that even if he was right, he’d still be a war criminal!

Mind you, Breaker Morant is a bloody good film.

Fascinating this guy's got a hero cult I've never heard of before.
Keep in mind that Ned Kelly is also a local Australian hero, despite being a cop-killing horse/cattle rustling thief. (Can I boast that I've actually seen his armour, and read his self-serving proclamation that was actually printed by a newspaper at the time). Personally I reckon the Kelly's were a real thorn in the side of the local police even before things escalated.

Keep in mind that Ned Kelly is also a local Australian hero, despite being a cop-killing horse/cattle rustling thief. (Can I boast that I've actually seen his armour, and read his self-serving proclamation that was actually printed by a newspaper at the time). Personally I reckon the Kelly's were a real thorn in the side of the local police even before things escalated.

Yes, but ACAB, and Kelly somehow got roped into being an Irish rebel (never mind the fact that the cop he killed was named Kennedy.)

Whereas murdering prisoners and civilians in cold blood is generally regarded as Not Nice.

That being said mate, I don't think we've interacted before- you may not know that because I've spent too much time in the archives in London and Canberra, I've got a very jaundiced, kneejerk view of various heroes of both the British Empire and Australian Federation. So while my reaction is very visceral, I don't pretend it's going to be representative of most people who read your stuff.

I'm also a great fan of the Kim Newman style interweaving of fiction and history, so I am watching your narrative experiment with a great deal of interest.

I wish you good luck.

Yes, but ACAB, and Kelly somehow got roped into being an Irish rebel (never mind the fact that the cop he killed was named Kennedy.)

Whereas murdering prisoners and civilians in cold blood is generally regarded as Not Nice.

That being said mate, I don't think we've interacted before- you may not know that because I've spent too much time in the archives in London and Canberra, I've got a very jaundiced, kneejerk view of various heroes of both the British Empire and Australian Federation. So while my reaction is very visceral, I don't pretend it's going to be representative of most people who read your stuff.

I'm also a great fan of the Kim Newman style interweaving of fiction and history, so I am watching your narrative experiment with a great deal of interest.

I wish you good luck.
The character of Breaker Morant, as depicted in this docu-drama, is someone you should not judge until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then you will be a mile away, and you’ll have their shoes. Psychopaths, such as Breaker, are missing the neural pathways in the prefrontal cortex needed for empathy.

People who are handicapped in this way should be guided to jobs where a lack of empathy is an advantage, such as telemarketing, rugby umpiring and surgery. Fortunately, Breaker’s role in this story would not require a heart, which may make the tough decisions haunt a more emotionally aware person. Also, strictly speaking, he hasn’t killed any prisoners on this timeline.

I am trying to attract enough interest to form a psychopath support organisation. For example, since you have spent “too much time” in the archives in London and Canberra, I was wondering if you could recommend a vocation where Putin would not hurt himself or others.

Back