• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

UK Secondary School ISOT to August 1940.

Torten

Pronouns
He/Him
Your average UK Secondary school (so around 800 students, sixth form, plenty of teachers and plenty of poorly behaved students) gets ISOT back in time to the Battle of Britain. I'll work on the grounds the school was built on a greenfield site so doesn't displace anything.

The biggest benefit will be modern knowledge, though textbooks, odds and ends and infomation from memory.

Modern computers would be very helpful at Bletchley Park, along with Computer Science students and teachers.

Besides from that I presume most of the students and staff would tucked away somewhere for the rest of the war, or possibly taken to Canada - which would probably suit everyone fine.

Well, I would suppose it would depend on just how well outfitted the school actually is.

My first secondary school was very deprived, even by the standards of that time, and there was very little in the way of history books, computers, or anything else that would be immediately useful. On the other hand, there were a few teachers who really knew their stuff and could certainly lay the groundwork for tech uplift if they were given time. The school was a boarding school in Fife so there would be no need to immediately evacuate or intern the pupils. In the long-term, of course, they’d need to be farmed out to foster parents.

My second school was a lot more advanced; there were hundreds of computers, dozens of books - mostly very basic when it came to history and technology, but still useful - and a lot of other things. I daresay the government would take everything into custody, and try and look after the children while assessing the history windfall and picking out how best to use it. I don’t think 1940 Britain could have avoided the collapse of the British Empire, but they could have traded advanced technology to get better terms for America and cushion the fall as much as possible. Some of the kids were of Asian descent and would probably know at least something that could be used. Some of the teachers were old enough to remember the 1960s if not earlier. (We did say that one really old teacher dated all the way back to the Stone Age, but this was probably untrue <grin>)

In the short-term, I don’t think much will change. Churchill will know that Operation Sealion is a non-starter. He may also realise that aiding Greece at the expense of losing a chance to beat the Italians in North Africa would be a mistake. He may push to keep French North Africa out of the war, if possible, and then send reinforcements to India when he realises that Singapore is doomed. He may or he may not warn the Americans about Pearl Harbour - on one hand, the Americans would see it as a betrayal (unless you buy into the theory FDR allowed the act to ahead); on the other, Japan is doomed by the mere act of starting the war and Churchill knows it will work out for the best. Either way, Britain will make a better showing in the early days of the Far East war. From there, events will spin unpredictably. For example, if the North African War ends in 1940/1, will the Allies attack France in 1943 rather than 1944? What will this do to the Russian War?

In the long-term, after the war, I think a great many things will change. A person from the 1940s will regard 2023 with a degree of horror. They will be adamantly opposed to immigration, even from Commonwealth states, and they’ll think a lot of what we take for granted is utter madness. Even something as simple as women working outside the home permanently, instead of just a war measure, will horrify them.

Worse, if the kids are stereotypical enough, the 1940s people will see it as a result of a lack of discipline; perhaps conscription will be kept longer in this timeline, or be replaced by a public works scheme. On the plus side, technology will advance faster - based on information recovered from the school - and there’s at least a chance the USSR will collapse earlier and/or the space race and nuclear power will develop faster than in the original timeline.

It’s possible you could get a set of interesting stories out of this. There was a girl in my school, back in 2000, who was very much determined to rise to the top. She was clever, ambitious, and not afraid to speak her mind. In our time, she could have risen; in 1940, the opportunities would be great deal fewer. Female professionals were very rare and her attitude would rub the 1940s people the wrong way. Or you could have the typical tech-tinkering nerd suddenly finding himself very much in demand because he knows more about future tech’s than almost anyone else. Or a football star having to cope with army training. Or … Who knows?

This could make a cool anthology.

A person from the 1940s will regard 2023 with a degree of horror. They will be adamantly opposed to immigration, even from Commonwealth states, and they’ll think a lot of what we take for granted is utter madness. Even something as simple as women working outside the home permanently, instead of just a war measure, will horrify them.

Really?

As the grandchild of, respectively, Irish, English, Sicilian and Jamaican grandparents, without immigration being an accepted part of things even pre-1940, I wouldn't exist if your statement was actually accurate.

Women working outside the home permanently being shocking? How terribly middle-class. Nurses and teachers and bank clerks of the female variety were common enough, to say nothing of those working as servants. At the lower end of the scale, income was more important than the gender of the person earning it. Oh, sure, there were jobs one wasn't supposed to do, but you've got a terribly Richmael Crompton set of glasses on there.

Really?

As the grandchild of, respectively, Irish, English, Sicilian and Jamaican grandparents, without immigration being an accepted part of things even pre-1940, I wouldn't exist if your statement was actually accurate.

Women working outside the home permanently being shocking? How terribly middle-class. Nurses and teachers and bank clerks of the female variety were common enough, to say nothing of those working as servants. At the lower end of the scale, income was more important than the gender of the person earning it. Oh, sure, there were jobs one wasn't supposed to do, but you've got a terribly Richmael Crompton set of glasses on there.

Point. Many of the leadership, though, would be upper class or upper middle class at best.

That said, my (middle class) grandmother's experience during WW2 was a mixed bag. From what she said, she intended to become a teacher, but went to work in a factory during the war and then went back to teaching - a lot of men during the time, from what she said, didn't see women as equals and poured scorn on the idea of a woman entering a traditionally masculine sphere. Many of her peers stayed as homemakers - perhaps she would have, if her husband hadn't died.

Good point, though. Sorry.

... Nurses and teachers and bank clerks of the female variety were common enough, to say nothing of those working as servants. At the lower end of the scale, income was more important than the gender of the person earning it. Oh, sure, there were jobs one wasn't supposed to do, but you've got a terribly Richmael Crompton set of glasses on there.
Most of those nurses and teachers and bank clerks would have had to resign though if they got married - that continued well into the 1950s

While David is right about working women, there was undoubtedly widespread discrimination and a glass ceiling above many clerical and administrative roles that would make for an interesting cultural divide.

Indeed. My grumble was the claim that the principle of women working outside the home would horrify the locals.

A country actively recruiting women into (admittedly mostly auxiliary) roles in the Armed Forces isn't going to be massively sniffy about women working in civilian roles; the reaction will come when the crisis is over and some people try to put the lid back on and pretend nothing has changed.

The main macro impacts of a secondary school from the future are obviously going to be informational - depending of course on exactly when it appears and who takes what information seriously.
On a human level...well, there isn't going to be a secondary school that won't rub the 40s society the wrong way, one way or another. Take your pick: hundreds of black and brown young people speaking idiomatic English and (largely) certain of their Britishness and equality with the people around them, whether they're Christian or Muslim or Hindu or Sikh? Hundreds of white young people who are in aggregate non-Christian?
Some mixture of those two sets?
There have been several generations of social change between then and now, and the kids don't always sit comfortably in 2020s society, so that's going to have some rough patches to say the least.

Back