• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Things that look like alternate history but aren't

From the Glasgow Herald of July 28th, 1934, a London correspondent reassures us that Hollywood's American Cultural Imperialism will face a new challenge from Gaumont-British, such as...wait, what was that second film again??

1706543856681.png

Bizarrely, this issue also contains loads of stuff about tensions involving Nazi attempts to take over Austria and headlines like:

1706543904133.png

which makes it all the more baffling they casually list a Nazi propaganda film in the list like that.

Oh well, at least they were apparently right about how one of the others on the list was received (assuming the NYT was more reliable in 1934 than it is now):

The New York Times wrote, "The cry this morning should be 'The Redcoats are coming!' Britain's long-heralded invasion of the American film market has begun with the offerings at the Roxy of Chu Chin Chow, a tuneful, spectacular and robust adaptation of the Oscar Asche comic operetta."

Another fun little fact I found out fairly recently, in the course of my research for two of the alt-history genre stories I've been working on- the oldest tunnel in the world in our timeline was the Thames Tunnel, today used by the East London Line of the London Overground, and having been completed in 1843. The second oldest tunnel in the world which ran beneath a navigable river in our timeline, and the first with sufficient space to permit the passage of vehicles, is commonly cited as having been the Mersey Railway Tunnel- which was 1.21 km long, commenced construction in 1881, and was completed in 1886; though it could also be cited as having been the Tower Subway (also under the Thames, in Central London), which was constructed in 1869, and conveyed a small wooden cable-car with a maximum capacity of 12 passengers.

But did you know that the actual second underwater tunnel in the world, and the first underwater tunnel large enough to carry vehicular traffic, predated both of these, and was situated practically on the other side of the world; having been built to near-completion under the bed of the River Indus at Attock in present-day Pakistan, from 1860-62? One of those things which next-to-no-one knows anything about, and looks like alternate history, but which wasn't- and which, IMHO, at the very least would merit inclusion in an episode of 'Abandoned Engineering'...

attockbridge25.jpg

As soon as the British annexed the Punjab, they started working on the idea of improving the bridging the Indus at Attock (hitherto provided by a floating bridge of boats during the dry season in winter, and ferries during the wet season), which was considered critical for military strategic reasons. And in 1859 (after the extent of flooding in August 1858 had made it clear that the originally planned suspension bridge, as designed in 1853 by one Colonel Crommelin, wouldn't be high or wide enough to do the job), Colonel Robertson proposed the idea of a 1.93 km long tunnel under the Indus River at Attock, to connect Rawalpindi with Peshawar:

The dimensions I propose for the tunnel inside are twenty-four feet wide by twenty feet in height, and a lining under the river of brick masonry two feet thick. This places foundation level of the roadway 82 feet under the low water level, and placing the entrances one hundred feet above this level for safety, we have 182 feet to descend and ascend. The grade I propose is 1 in 20; this is rather steep for railway traffic but offers no difficulties for normal road traffic. The width of the river bed at the point I have selected for the tunnel is 1215 feet.

As a result of the detailed report from Colonel Robertson, of which an excerpt is given above, the British Government sanctioned Rs 10000 (with the going 'exchange rate' at the time having been roughly Rs6:US$5:£1), to build the tunnel, which was to be 1.93 km long. Work started on building this tunnel on 12 March 1860, with the recently established 'Punjab Sappers (Pioneers)', aka the 'Mazhabi and Ramdasia Pioneers' (which later became the 32nd Sikh Pioneers, and per its nickname, was comprised nigh-exclusively of Sikhs from these two groups of 'Dalits'/'Untouchables') tasked with its construction (as part of their military service, thus enabling the British to employ them to carry out the task without having to paying them anything more than their basic salaries).

But in June of same year, water leakage in the tunnel works forced the project's suspension for several months; another grant of Rs 10770 was approved in January 1861, but any further work on the project remained sporadic (as did the allocation of funds from these grants to the infrastructure project itself, rather than being 'skimmed off the top' by corrupt colonial administrators)- delays in obtaining some heavy machinery, custom-built to order back in Britain, forced work to be suspended again from May-November 1861.

The project's death knell came in the summer of 1862, when another machinery breakdown caused the work to grind to a halt- with a mere 258 feet, less than 79 metres' distance, remaining between the point where two ends of the boring would meet under the bed, and the tunnel's completion- so very close, yet in a metaphorical sense, still so far. With the British government having spent Rs59,300 on the project by this point, far more than the original estimate (but still under £10,000, equivalent to c.£1.5M today adjusted for inflation, when the far shorter and narrower Tower Subway almost a decade later would cost £16,000), work was stopped altogether until a lengthy study could be conducted into all the challenges and causes of the delays.

And upon the recommendations of this study upon its completion (over a year and several thousand extra rupees later), the Attock Tunnel was subsequently shelved altogether. This decision was cited as having primarily been made "owing to the difficulty of keeping it clear of water". The tunnel's drainage was being carried out throughout exclusively via manual labour, using nothing but buckets; and the expense of installing and running a 'Cornish Engine' to pump water out of the tunnel was deemed to be too great, owing to the alleged need to import it (along with all the coal needed to run it), all the way from Britain.

The significant coal-fields and oil-fields which happened to exist in close proximity to the tunnel, on both sides of the Indus, still hadn'tbeen discovered or begun to be exploited at this point; and the obvious solution of using locally-sourced charcoal instead, as they did on the early railroads in India, wasn't even entertained as a possibility by the study. But the personal interests of the Lt. Governor of Punjab, Robert Montgomery, also appear to have played a prominent role in the decision to shelve the project.

The colour scheme used on the small preview of this image made me think it was some kind of plan to partition the Republic of Ireland and massively enlarge Northern Ireland, rather than just a map of the RoI's European Parliament constituencies.

View attachment 79319

A MODEST PROPOSAL FOR AN HARMONIOUS HOMELAND FOR THE THREE NATIONS OF IRELAND
  • Southern Ireland (Catholic)
  • Central Ireland (Protestant)
  • Northern Ireland (Buddhist)
  • Free City of Dublin (Non-Sectarian)

The colour scheme used on the small preview of this image made me think it was some kind of plan to partition the Republic of Ireland and massively enlarge Northern Ireland, rather than just a map of the RoI's European Parliament constituencies.

View attachment 79319
Never knew the Republic was that concentrated, nearly a third of the country lives in County Dublin. Even the Ile de France isn't that dense.

By point of comparison, the whole of Northern Ireland has only slightly larger a population.

More of a "Things that look like a highly questionable HOI sub-mod/SLP sequel", but the New Zealand Official Year-Book 1899 lists among "Consuls of Foreign Countries residing in, or with Jurisdiction over, New Zealand" one Baron d'Ungern-Sternberg as Russian Consul in Melbourne.

Certainly not the Ungern-Sternberg and almost certainly not his father or particular branch of the family given the dates, but enough when reading through a list otherwise made up of very minor diplomats, company directors, and amateur cricketers, to prompt a 'wait, who? reaction'.

I have seen a mostly-joking suggestion of red, green, and white as a "Slightly Less Union Jack" for a Scotland-less UK. The Bulgarian one reminds me of that.
Of course the Union Jack predates the Act of Union, the Union in question is the Union of the Crowns - so one could argue that 'really' both Scotland and the rest of the UK should continue to use the Union Jack. Though, of course, Scotland had its own version, which itself may qualify for this thread.

1707139370873.png

640px-Scottish_Union_Flag_-_detail.JPG

My kids nursery has little photos of the kids and staff on the walls, with names and flags for their country of origin.
For some reason some of the British kids have the pre-1801 Union flag on theirs.

My kids nursery has little photos of the kids and staff on the walls, with names and flags for their country of origin.
For some reason some of the British kids have the pre-1801 Union flag on theirs.
The pre-1801 Union Jack has shown up a lot more of late by accident and I have no idea why. It seems to show up high on google image search, which will be part of the reason why, but then one has to explain why it's high up on the google search in the first place.

I bet it's Paradox Games, it's usually their fault.

The pre-1801 Union Jack has shown up a lot more of late by accident and I have no idea why. It seems to show up high on google image search, which will be part of the reason why, but then one has to explain why it's high up on the google search in the first place.

I bet it's Paradox Games, it's usually their fault.
Having just checked, there is an example in the top 10 results on my phone. And that's the Britannica image, so people might trust that one and go for it perhaps?

Back