• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Things that look like alternate history but aren't

There are people in there arguing that Pakistan actually existed since Muslims came to the subcontinent and...

What the actual fuck???
Bit of a contrast to that Chambers Encyclopaedia I was showing in the recent @Ciclavex - Chat which was from 1970, but not updated that much since 1950, and has two separate articles for "India" and a much shorter one for "Republic of India" for anything post-1947. Because they've had an article covering the history and culture of the whole of British India and what preceded it in those lands since their 19th century editions, and they're not going to bloody try to split up the bits of history of the parts that got partitioned into West and East Pakistan.

The Alabama state flag is the St Andrew's Cross in English flag red and white, which always catches me out when I see it. "To curry favour with the Stuarts, Saint Andrew would be officially adopted as the patron of England as well and so 'George' became adopted as a nomme de guerre for dissidents. This ended in England after its climax, the American Revolution, when Washington and his fellow Founding Fathers all called themselves 'George'."

The Alabama state flag is the St Andrew's Cross in English flag red and white, which always catches me out when I see it. "To curry favour with the Stuarts, Saint Andrew would be officially adopted as the patron of England as well and so 'George' became adopted as a nomme de guerre for dissidents. This ended in England after its climax, the American Revolution, when Washington and his fellow Founding Fathers all called themselves 'George'."
The original Alabama Colony was founded by Anglo-Irish fleeing the United Irish Rebellion, hence why the the St. Patrick's Saltire was adopted later as the provincial flag.

mail

The concept of the Swingometer for election coverage is often thought to only have begun with Bob McKenzie in the mid-twentieth century. While the idea of predicting results from a uniform national swing indeed doesn't predate that (I think!) the metaphor of a swinging pendulum to describe election results is much older, as seen in this pamphlet from 1910 which compares results going back to the Great Reform Act.

Swingometer 1910 2.jpg

The concept of the Swingometer for election coverage is often thought to only have begun with Bob McKenzie in the mid-twentieth century. While the idea of predicting results from a uniform national swing indeed doesn't predate that (I think!) the metaphor of a swinging pendulum to describe election results is much older, as seen in this pamphlet from 1910 which compares results going back to the Great Reform Act.

View attachment 75235
This is amazing, really puts 1906 in context and how far free trade was the mainstream at that point.

As Mark says, I've definitely seen isolated uses much later than one might imagine.
From Stack Exchange' English Language site it seems that Norfolk dilect might still use shew.

Back