• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Things that look like alternate history but aren't

This 1988 East German map clearly shows that West Berlin has been ISOTed, leaving only a featureless void.

Image-Pasted-at-2019-10-9-00-46.png

There was a sequel of Birth of a Nation, called Fall of a Nation involving in no particular order : an invasion of the United States by a German-led European army, honey-trapping suffragettes and a call for American armament unless...
A while ago I discovered a book from around the same time with a similar concept: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8684 An attack on American neutrality in WW1 at the time by claiming the Germans will go after them next in 1921. The weird part is that the author seemed to keep changing his mind how WW1 itself will end (not necessarily with overwhelming German victory as you'd think he'd portray it as), maybe being influenced by varying news reports as they came through.

A number of countries have been influenced by the Union Jack in the design of their own naval jacks (i.e. the flag on the front of the warship) which leads to some interesting and AH-looking designs, e.g. this Bulgarian warship:
You won't convince me this isn't yet another picture in the overly long list of "Union Jack/Flag but coloured/drawn wrong".

Marshall Plan posters are good for unexpected flags.

1685627372962.png

On the left we have the Free Territory of Trieste (at least with the right colour, unlike the one on the more famous 'windmill' poster) and on the right we have un-outlined Norway, coat of arms-less Portugal, Czechoslovakia and Poland (this may have been at an early stage when it was thought they would be allowed to go for it) and, most curiously of all, the Red Ensign used to represent Britain.

Marshall Plan posters are good for unexpected flags.

View attachment 69657

On the left we have the Free Territory of Trieste (at least with the right colour, unlike the one on the more famous 'windmill' poster) and on the right we have un-outlined Norway, coat of arms-less Portugal, Czechoslovakia and Poland (this may have been at an early stage when it was thought they would be allowed to go for it) and, most curiously of all, the Red Ensign used to represent Britain.

To be fair: it is on a ship.

The flag of Hawaii still has the Union Jack in it, like it's one of the old dominions, and that really threw me first time I saw it
“Your majesty, the British keep conquering all the native island monarchies of the Pacific, and they even conquered us once by accident! They’re almost certainly going to come back to finish the job at some point, how are we going to defend our independence?!”

“I have an idea. Let’s add the Union Jack to our flag, so that when the British see it, they’ll think they already conquered us and move on.”

“…”

“…”

“…”

“Your majesty, with all due respect, that is the most ludicrous…”

“If you have another plan for how we’re expected to survive against an empire whose navy outnumbers our entire population, I would dearly love to hear it.”

“I’ll go grab the scissors.”

Back