• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Things that look like alternate history but aren't

Before-They-Were-Famous-009.jpg

The Beatles in Hamburg 1960 looking like a photoshop for a timeline where the 60s got angrier and the 'Fierce Five' are off to do some hard rocking about how it is down in the Mersey no-go.

IMG_2723.jpeg

This is a real promotional image at Liverpool Street at the moment, it looks like not just AH but a shit AH from a timeline where Britain is the same but isn’t a monarchy, and someone asked “how would British brands look if they had a king?”

I think it’s really quite accurate for that, see also how flags of AH monarchies often can’t move for crowns despite few such flags having crowns on. Sort of the platonic opposite of the “communist flags always look like the newly-communist nation’s flag, even though very few communist countries kept national symbols or old flags on their new one” phenomenon.

The band of the Scots Guards (and other military units in the background), stranded on the platform at Farnborough Main after their transport was seized by the Workers' Revolutionary Council.

FB_IMG_1683057876316.jpg

Last edited:
For some reason lost to memory, the Sea Lion became a potent religious symbol in China...

52867548679_8b6dd878ab_z.jpg
52867548674_befd0e2335_z.jpg

Acquired political overtones...

52867825658_f8046f17d2_z.jpg

And was eventually weaponized by a shady demagogue.

52866810227_b39c807a47_z.jpg
I do still have the photos off the original thread saved, including @Burton K Wheeler 's Iraq tour.

640px-1986-Prototype-Blue-arriving-South-Ealing.jpg

This is, in fact, a prototype train built for the London Underground in 1986 that led to the development of Tube Stock that still runs on the Central Line to this day. But seeing a tube train in any livery other than the London Underground's famous red, white and blue design feels extremely AH. This could very easily be the stock for a Metro system built for Birmingham, Manchester or one of the other English cities that at various points had London-like Tube networks proposed for them.

Last edited:
This is, in fact, a prototype train built for the London Underground in 1986 that led to the development of Tube Stock that still runs on the Central Line to this day. But it could very easily be the eighties stock for a Metro Line build for Birmingham, Manchester or one of the other English cities that at various points had London-like Tube networks proposed for them.
The livery reminiscent of that one Picc-Vic artist conception, though I believe the actual proposed rolling stock for that project bore more of a resemblance to what would come later for Merseyrail.

The livery reminiscent of that one Picc-Vic artist conception, though I believe the actual proposed rolling stock for that project bore more of a resemblance to what would come later for Merseyrail.
I didn't even think of that - yeah, it does!

Was honestly thinking myself more of an ATL where more English cities around the turn of start of the 20th century get underground lines influenced by the Deep-level tube lines, reminiscent of the Glasgow Subway.

640px-1986-Prototype-Blue-arriving-South-Ealing.jpg

This is, in fact, a prototype train built for the London Underground in 1986 that led to the development of Tube Stock that still runs on the Central Line to this day. But seeing a tube train in any livery other than the London Underground's famous red, white and blue design feels extremely AH. This could very easily be the stock for a Metro system built for Birmingham, Manchester or one of the other English cities that at various points had London-like Tube networks proposed for them.

Another transit one that came to mind for me was the authentic Paris Metro Guimard entrance at Square Victoria-OACI in Montreal. The signboard is a bit of a giveaway but the environment works for anything from a French North America AH to a Paris that embraced skyscrapers outside La Défense.

art_square-victoria_guimard_a.jpg

Back