• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Things that look like alternate history but aren't

And of course the biggie, hey guys you know that light entertainment guy who plays a politician? What if he WAS a politician!

mr_zelenskyvolodymyr_031222_ap-press-office.jpg

And the further we get from Boris Johnson being a guy mostly associated with comedy shows and more as the Mayor of London who became an MP (again) who became a Cabinet minister who became PM, this very normal political journey, to future generations it's going to look like a photoshop to show Boris Johnson becoming a TV comedian when they see:

TELEMMGLPICT000302734072_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq56SURFa-j0RBa9h9sFlLKY47orPdcNBXSmQXW4fu8Sg.jpeg

We go live to a Sliders episode where Ancient Egypt rules the world:

20180607_123555.jpg

1024px-Sankt_Petersburg_%C3%84gyptische_Br%C3%BCcke_2006.jpg

sphinx-london-cleopatras-needle.jpg

(All of it built in the 19th century in Penzance, St Petersburg, and London during "Egyptomania")
In a similar vein, I always think the Trafford Centre in Manchester feels very 'Rome never fell - or gained a sense of taste'.

1680521149022.png

640px-Trafford_Centre_Crest_A_Dec_2017.jpg

apropos the Black Panther/Confederate collaboration upthread, some extreme Black Nationalists/Black Supremacists have sympathised with Trump in our own time, officially on "white nationalism/separatism can boost us" grounds but, I am sure, really because they sympathise with the antisemitism that Trump has relegitimised (which was likewise the reason why Nick Griffin distributed Nation of Islam screeds in Britain back in Public Enemy's heyday, when the Stud Brothers of Melody Maker - who were widely perceived as Right-wing libertarians - were the only writers on the Left-wing music press really to call PE out for their own antisemitic leanings).

I like Alexander Rooksmoor's post - I know I've said something similar before but compare the recent Court Circulars with those of the Queen and Phil's visit to Germany the year before Cameron became Tory leader, in terms of the courtesy titles used or not used, and you get a real sense of the Establishment's shift in orientation towards "everyone might as well come from the Anglosphere and should be addressed as if they do" post-Cameron/Rock Right.

Last edited:
An obvious one, but German occupation of the Channel Islands provides alternate historians with nice illustrative material:

687.-German-occupation-of-Channel-Islands.jpg

RAF_headquarters_Channel_Islands.jpg

If Day has some decent material on that front as well.

the-nazi-invasion-of-winnipeg.jpg

10151106-0-image-a-41_1550854513470.jpg

I also found there was a lesser-documented but otherwise similar stunt in Vancouver called Streng Verboten Day about a week later, the material online for that one's a lot more sparse but there should be more in the City of Vancouver Archives so I should visit them next time I'm back.

The obvious one is when we had President Biff Tannen for a while there, but this one is big for me

biden.jpg

President Joe Biden, serving from 2021 on. Yes, the Joe Biden that was deemed a rising star following his election to the Senate in 1972. Yes, the Joe Biden that ran for president in 1988. Yes, the Joe Biden with a history of debilitating aneurysms. He makes it to the year 2023. And he's president there.

The obvious one is when we had President Biff Tannen for a while there, but this one is big for me

View attachment 68135

President Joe Biden, serving from 2021 on. Yes, the Joe Biden that was deemed a rising star following his election to the Senate in 1972. Yes, the Joe Biden that ran for president in 1988. Yes, the Joe Biden with a history of debilitating aneurysms. He makes it to the year 2023. And he's president there.
"Tell me, Future Boy, who is President of the United States in 2023?"

"Joe Biden."

"Joe Biden! Who's Vice President? Gary Hart?"

Back