• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Things that look like alternate history but aren't

In his final governor's term, he won in no small part because of the black vote, no less.
This was true in his first unsuccessful campaign for governor as well. As a judge, Wallace was unusually respectful of Black attorneys who argued before him, and that helped secure him the endorsement of the NAACP in his very first run for governor.

became the ruler of Montenegro through a rumour that he was in fact the deposed Russian emperor Peter III, who had died several years before Šćepan surfaced

no come on, who'd write that?!
Why is everyone so desperate to be Tsar Peter III?

Conditions in Oman as of 1970 could be something from a TL where the industrial revolution did not happen.

"Said became more reclusive from his people and country. In 1965, after making concessions to export oil with Iraq, Iran and Britain, he did little to improve the life of his people. The benefits of this deal would not come to fruition until his was deposed in 1970 in a palace coup.

In 1965, the province of Dhofar revolted, this time with the support of the People's Republic of China and some of the nationalist Arab states, followed by an assassination attempt in 1966. It had a marked effect on Said, causing him to become even more erratic in governing the country. It was forbidden to smoke in public, to play football, to wear sunglasses or to speak to anyone for more than 15 minutes. No one was safe from the sultan's paranoia, not even his own son, Qaboos, who was kept under virtual house arrest at Al Hosn Palace in Salalah.

Before he was overthrown in 1970, because of his backwards policies, Oman had an under 5 mortality rate of around 25%. Trachoma, venereal disease and malnutrition were widespread. There were only three schools, the literacy rate was 5%, and there were only 10 kilometres (6 mi) of paved roads."

"After slavery had been abolished in Bahrain in 1937, in Kuwait in 1949 and in Saudi Arabia in 1962, it still flourished in Oman. By this time, the Sultan himself reportedly owned around 500 slaves, an estimated 150 of whom were women, who were kept at his palace at Salalah; a number of his male slaves were rumoured at the time to have been physically deformed due to abuse.

Sultan Said bin Taimur reportedly owned around 500 slaves, descendants of enslaved people trafficked from Africa, which were "kept tightly isolated from the rest of the population, and banned from marrying or learning to read or write without his permission". After a slave began to evade control, he passed a law under which all people of African descent were legally classed as slaves. Reportedly, "kept many of his slaves locked up there and used to enjoy beating them", and when he lived in Muscat during the 1950s, he "used to make his slaves swim in the water underneath his balcony and then amuse himself by shooting at fish around them".

A correspondent who visited Salalah after Sultan Said's removal in 1970 reported:

"Among 12 slaves presented to foreign journalists some had been forced, under pain of beating, not to speak. As a result they had become mutes. Others stood with their heads bowed and eyes fixed on the ground, their necks now paralysed. The slightest glance sideways resulted in a severe beating or imprisonment. Others had incurred physical deformity from similar cruelty. Said was also found to have 150 women locked away in his palace and it was known by some of his British aides that he had been assaulting young girls".

A couple of recent discoveries involving historical American culture.

I grew up with my dad and others of that generation quoting songs where I had no real perception of how old they were, so it was a bit of a surprise to me to find that "The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze" is from 1867. It was also referenced I recall in the Last of the Summer Wine episode "That's Not Captain Zero" which broadcast in 1990, so it definitely had staying power (helped by appearing in films, an endlessly repeated Popeye cartoon and the like). Anyway, the original was inspired by the legendary French acrobat Jules Léotard, who gave his name to the eponymous garment. The reason I bring it up here is that the lyrics include that the performer is "Tall, big and handsome, as well made as Chang" - which is almost certainly a reference to contemporary celebrities Chang and Eng Bunker, the original 'Siamese Twins'. It does definitely make one re-evaluate one's historical perception when a song from straight after the Amerian Civil War is namedropping celebrities with self-evidently Asian names.

Speaking of the American Civil War, another, rather more negative, example I came across is this:

The_Littlest_Rebel_1935_film_poster.jpg

It's that collision of the twee kiddie term 'Littlest', which I associate from a much later era, and Shirley Temple who's still recognisably name-checked as a child star and part of the narrative of frequently-referenced film history, with the blatant Confederate romanticist/apologist narrative of the early 20th century. (The film is from 1935). It almost makes it look like a deliberate piece of AH art to depict a Confederate victory dystopia.

The writers at Marvel seem to be fond of that song, they've referenced it at least twice that I'm aware of.

beast-annual-10.jpg
Yeah, I think those writers were of the same generation and will have seen it referenced in the same places (film and the Popeye cartoon I mentioned, as the latter were repeated endlessly at one point).

The parody verison I've always heard is "I fly through the air with the greatest of ease / I land with a crash on my elbows and knees..." which itself gets a modified reference in the 1990 Last of the Summer Wine episode I mentioned so must significantly predate that.

Why? Portugal, Spain?
Those took power in 1926 and 1939 respectively, and the Greek junta was an embarrassment for the Western Bloc when it existed. Also, from its Wikipedia page:
"In 1952, IDEA issued a manifesto stating that a dictatorship was the only possible solution to Greece's problems, which the Greek scholar Christos Kassimeris called an "astonishing" statement since the communists had been defeated in 1949, Greece was enjoying relative prosperity after living standards had collapsed in the 1940s, and Greek politics were stable. Kassimeris argued that since Papadopoulos played a large role in writing the 1952 manifesto, that it was his "personal ambition" rather than an objective fear of the Greek communists that was driving him forward because in no way could Greece be presented as being on the brink of a communist take-over in 1952."

There's nothing particularly unrealistic about a semi-democratic country becoming a dictatorship in the second half of the 20th century.
Already addressed this,
"In 1952, IDEA issued a manifesto stating that a dictatorship was the only possible solution to Greece's problems, which the Greek scholar Christos Kassimeris called an "astonishing" statement since the communists had been defeated in 1949, Greece was enjoying relative prosperity after living standards had collapsed in the 1940s, and Greek politics were stable. Kassimeris argued that since Papadopoulos played a large role in writing the 1952 manifesto, that it was his "personal ambition" rather than an objective fear of the Greek communists that was driving him forward because in no way could Greece be presented as being on the brink of a communist take-over in 1952."

Back