• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

The Way Things Were. Maybe.

It's not quite the same, but I remember having a similar realisation about trying to get men in close order over broken ground the first time I played Cossacks II: Napoleonic Wars. (IIRC, its predecessor had not been so sophisticated and had ignored such terrain effects).

I also remember a Scooby-Doo comic (of all things) related to the point about different flavours of re-enactor; you had these ACW re-enactors where both the Union and Confederate side were sneakily coming up with ways around the historical problems their sides faced in the historical battle. In the end they get foiled by the ghosts of the actual generals finding it disrespectful, coming down from their statues' plinths and collaborating to supernaturally stop them (this being from one of the later Scooby-Doos with actual ghosts). The only clue in the end is that the two generals' statues are mysteriously now sharing one plinth at the end. An interesting insight from the days when popular interpretations of the ACW were still very much focused on reconciliation to the point of not looking too closely at what the Confederate cause was about.

An interesting insight from the days when popular interpretations of the ACW were still very much focused on reconciliation to the point of not looking too closely at what the Confederate cause was about.

It's weird seeing Good German and the sympatheric ACW takes in fiction now (especially in reprints of kid-aimed war comics), and extra weird to remember how recent it was that this was normal. Firefly using Lost Cause tropes without thinking what that might mean is a usual jab, but there's a Doctor Who strip where he meets a sympathetic doomed Rommell in 2014!

Having to apologise for re-enacting history at the historical re-enactment. Bloody hell.

One group had names like Tarquin and Sebastian and could talk to friends and relatives and get stately homes to provide ground for the society to put on an event.

One group had names like Chris and Dean and were just the footsloggers with no connections worth speaking of.

It was inevitable which group would be required to apologise to the other, regardless of circumstances.

And then people wonder why I have a thing about the class system.

David's article gave me a wry chuckle or three. My favourite example of re-enactors discovering what really went on was a TV series where a group of ordinary blokes spent a weekend being Roman legionaries. They were provided with full armour but also what we would call cap comforters-woollen hats (tin hats are none to comfortable ). They started wearing these when doing camp duties. The consulting archaeologist was amazed. She had seen carvings of legionaries wearing something on their heads but hadn't worked out what they were!

@Noone Important has written an article, presented Here, that looks at ways of finding out why certain little details in the past happened the way they did.

Discuss.
Would be interested in a post on drawing vs pulling bows and other bow-related bow-wows.

David's article gave me a wry chuckle or three. My favourite example of re-enactors discovering what really went on was a TV series where a group of ordinary blokes spent a weekend being Roman legionaries. They were provided with full armour but also what we would call cap comforters-woollen hats (tin hats are none to comfortable ). They started wearing these when doing camp duties. The consulting archaeologist was amazed. She had seen carvings of legionaries wearing something on their heads but hadn't worked out what they were!

It is astonishing how, when you do things with the equipment that they would have had available, you suddenly find that there's often an optimum way of doing specific tasks.

Back