• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

The U.S. flag in a Confederate victory scenario

SpudNutimus

I make maps and things.
Pronouns
he/him
This is a fairly obvious question to ask that I've kinda thought about before considering how many Civil War-related timelines I do, but have surprisingly never really needed to answer for any of them, and have never really seen anyone else satisfactorily answer or even bring up in any significant capacity either.

In any given stereotypical timeline where the Confederacy wins the American Civil War and becomes an independent nation which the Union is forced to diplomatically recognize... would they remove 11 stars (or 12 or 13 if they miraculously managed to get Kentucky and/or Missouri I guess) from the U.S. flag because those aren't their states anymore? There's never really been any precedent for what to do in that situation to be honest, and it's not like it was a major discussion during the war since you know, the Union won and never had to think about it.

On the one hand if they did actually have to recognize the Confederacy as an independent nation and secession as legally valid, they wouldn't even claim those as their states anymore, at least ostensibly, so why would the stars still be there?

But also wouldn't removing them kind of add insult to injury? You know, significantly changing your main national symbol for the sole purpose of permanently validating the biggest humiliation in your country's history doesn't seem like it'd go over well (not to say that any of it would go over well though)?

I'm genuinely stumped to be honest, its such a completely cosmetic question that nobody ever really had any reason to answer that I have no idea how one would go about deciding it.

Back