• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

The Nitpicker’s Guide to Ancient Warfare: Coordination of different arms

Now you've got me thinking back to orders such as "By your directing flank, right and left...turn!" which only make sense once you know what they mean!

I agree that it probably needs expansion, but you've already referred to one good source for that: Alexander. His coordination of heavy infantry (having heavy infantry at all was new to Macedonia at that time) with light infantry and skirmishers, plus both heavy and light cavalry (and, later, elephants too) was absolutely key to his success - particularly since once battle was joined, he was generally in the thick of it and therefore unable to change the dispositions (or at least not easily) - which cross-refers to the C2 you're going to cover in another chapter.

Now you've got me thinking back to orders such as "By your directing flank, right and left...turn!" which only make sense once you know what they mean!

I agree that it probably needs expansion, but you've already referred to one good source for that: Alexander. His coordination of heavy infantry (having heavy infantry at all was new to Macedonia at that time) with light infantry and skirmishers, plus both heavy and light cavalry (and, later, elephants too) was absolutely key to his success - particularly since once battle was joined, he was generally in the thick of it and therefore unable to change the dispositions (or at least not easily) - which cross-refers to the C2 you're going to cover in another chapter.
It's also quite easy to see how the Diadochi forces degraded compared to Alexander - because so many of their best had settle out east, their lower-quality infantry wasn't as maneuverable as Alexander's phalanxes and thus it became much more about pike-pushes than the full combined-arms approach of before.

At least that's my hazy memory understanding, someone can clarify if it's inaccurate.

Back