• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

The Little Corsican Ogre, Part 2.

Love that barbed aside about the VC

Back in the day, medals with the descriptor "Cross" were for officers; "Medal" and "Order" were for Other Ranks.

The theory was that an Officer would be - obviously - a Christian Gentleman, and that therefore a Cross was appropriate, while Other Ranks may or may not be Christian, and certainly weren't Gentlemen, so a Cross was inappropriate.

Except for the VC, which was reckoned to be for valour so extreme that whoever earned it had to be a Christian Gentleman, regardless of their actual status.

It’s not even a comparison with other countries where you had to buy your commission and be a noble.
I was nonplussed when I read The Horseman on the Roof as a teen, and saw the young protagonist casually disclose that he's only an officer because his mum bought him the commission.

Back in the day, medals with the descriptor "Cross" were for officers; "Medal" and "Order" were for Other Ranks.

The theory was that an Officer would be - obviously - a Christian Gentleman, and that therefore a Cross was appropriate, while Other Ranks may or may not be Christian, and certainly weren't Gentlemen, so a Cross was inappropriate.

Except for the VC, which was reckoned to be for valour so extreme that whoever earned it had to be a Christian Gentleman, regardless of their actual status.

And according to King George they remained such even if they were hanged for murder.

@Redolegna very very good article, a good mix of trivia and useful lessons.

The one addition I'd make is making it explicit that French Generals being younger and from different backgrounds almost certainly helped with their effectiveness. Its not an unremarked phenomena that the side with the younger generals normally fights more effectively. It seemed to be strongly implied but not quite stated for the benefit of people who might think the point was a more egalitarian outfit rather than the very real military value from encouraging talent wherever its found.

You covered the complexity and true impact of Napoleon's Russian disaster quite well. I think most historically literate people by now have come to learn he lost more men in the Summer battles and through starvation and desertion than he did during the Winter retreat but the emphasis of the loss of his cavalry and artillery.

Wasn't Bernadotte the one that had "Death to Kings" or some such as a tattoo? Just remember, it's important that you be able to cover tattoos in the workplace because your never know where your career might take you.

Another name that jumped out amongst the Marshals was Macdonald. It seems recently I keep finding out about Jacobites that settled in France and rose to prominence, Patrice de MacMahon being another.

Wasn't Bernadotte the one that had "Death to Kings" or some such as a tattoo? Just remember, it's important that you be able to cover tattoos in the workplace because your never know where your career might take you.

Another name that jumped out amongst the Marshals was Macdonald. It seems recently I keep finding out about Jacobites that settled in France and rose to prominence, Patrice de MacMahon being another.
I am considering using Marshal Berthier as the basis for a spiel at work to higher-ups concerning why it is important not to treat your vital admin team like shit because your brilliant scheme will fall apart without them.

I was nonplussed when I read The Horseman on the Roof as a teen, and saw the young protagonist casually disclose that he's only an officer because his mum bought him the commission.
I hate that book with a passion, all the more so because I share my name with the protagonist and he's about as insufferable as Stendhal's heroes.
It is rumoured about him, it would fit with his early career but nothing was ever confirmed.

Yeah, about the second, when Scotland sends us their sons, they're not always sending their best. They can't be all as good as the king-killer.

I am considering using Marshal Berthier as the basis for a spiel at work to higher-ups concerning why it is important not to treat your vital admin team like shit because your brilliant scheme will fall apart without them.

He's an interesting figure. Often rated hopeless on his own (the opening of the 1809 campaign), but an excellent chief of staff who could understand Napoléon's want near perfectly and interpret and transmit them.

Love that barbed aside about the VC
I could never. No more than say salty things about the preferred method of succession among tsars at the time.

@Redolegna very very good article, a good mix of trivia and useful lessons.
Thanks!

The one addition I'd make is making it explicit that French Generals being younger and from different backgrounds almost certainly helped with their effectiveness. Its not an unremarked phenomena that the side with the younger generals normally fights more effectively. It seemed to be strongly implied but not quite stated for the benefit of people who might think the point was a more egalitarian outfit rather than the very real military value from encouraging talent wherever its found.
It certainly helped their aggressiveness and because a lot of generals facing them were extremely cautious, even a foolhardy attack could make them lose their nerve and retreat much more than needed. As for the wider pool, yes, absolutely. It does not work when the job is highly technical and specialized (hence the failure to effectively replace the Navy officers) but combined with a lot of excellent military reforms under Louis XVI which bore fruit at the time, it did quite well.

Yeah, about the second, when Scotland sends us their sons, they're not always sending their best. They can't be all as good as the king-killer.
I think those MacMahons came from Ireland rather than Scotland. Though in those days that distinction meant far less than one's family.

Back