• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

The Fortnightly Wikibox Challenge - Round V

Vote for who you think should win the round!

• gentleman biaggi: 1988 United States presidential election

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Blackentheborg: The British White Terror

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Erinthecute: 2022 Australian political crisis

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • theflyingmgoose: You Win For Now, Comrade Beria

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aaa

That's Round IV done--make sure to head over there and vote! On to the next round! As always, the rules are the same:

Rules and Guidelines
  1. Each user may only submit one entry. You are also free to collaborate with another person, in which case one user posts the entry and tags the other in the post.
  2. Each post should consist of at least one wikibox and a writeup. The length and number of wikiboxes is completely up to you and whatever creative forces move you.
  3. You are highly encouraged to give your entry a title, which will be used in the poll. If no title is given. I will use the subject of the wikibox as the de facto title.
  4. As the title implies, you have two weeks to get your entry in. I will put up a poll at 12 midnight, my time zone, on May 10 (on GMT, that's 5pm the previous day). The poll will last for three days.
Anyway, this round's theme is...

Scandal
There are no specific instructions, so it's completely up to you and however you interpret the prompt.

You have two weeks--best of luck to everyone! If you have any suggestions for a topic for a future round, my DMs are always open.

2022 Australian political crisis​

FT1HUmW.png

The 2022 Australian political crisis began on 17 April 2022 when reports surfaced that, during 2020-21, Prime Minister Scott Morrison had secretly sworn himself in to administer the portfolios of several of his ministers, most of whom were not informed. Morrison confirmed the allegations the same day and refused calls to resign or apologise, insisting his actions were justified. A vicious internal struggle ensued in the Liberal Party and wider Coalition over Morrison's future, as the news broke just four weeks prior to the 2022 federal election. After proposed spill motions received an unexpected amount of caucus support in late April, the crisis escalated with further ministerial resignations. Notably, Morrison ally and Treasurer Josh Frydenberg and key conservative factional leader Peter Dutton both resigned ahead of a third spill on 9 May. The motion unexpectedly failed, falling one vote short of the two-thirds threshold required to remove a sitting leader who had won a federal election, a requirement implemented after Morrison assumed leadership in 2018. Another spill two days came four votes short, leading to the effective end of attempts to remove him. The lack of resolution caused the National Party, the Liberals' coalition partner, to withdraw from cabinet pending the result of the election. The deeply scarred and divided Liberal Party effectively conducted no campaigning during the final few weeks of the election. The opposition Labor Party won a landslide victory, with the government losing seats to both Labor and to numerous independents as well as Greens candidates. The Coalition's 39 seats, just over a quarter of the seats in parliament, represented the lowest share of seats won by the conservative side of politics in Australian history.

You Win For Now, Comrade Beria
1683423388581.png
Lavrentiy Beria's ascension to the top of Soviet politics in late 1954 came with surprising ease, at least at first. While Western observers had anticipated a power struggle, Beria was confirmed as General Secretary with little competition. It turned out, of course, to be the plan all along. Within months of his taking power, scandals and kompromat began to show itself. At a special session of the Presidium, Beria defended himself, instead placing the blame on President Stassen and NATO. His fellow Soviet leaders were unmoved, and he was removed from power in August of 1955. Days later, he was arrested on charges of 'conspiring to return to power' and sentenced to death.

As I’m extremely busy this week and probably won’t be on this site much, the deadline’s moving to May 13, 12 am (in my time zone, GMT+8). Consider getting an entry in if you haven’t already!

Alright, the poll's up! We've got four entries and you have three days to cast your vote, and make sure to check out the new round once you've voted!

Last edited:
Back