• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

The effects of a Failed May 16th Coup?

Time Enough

"Enthusiastic Cis Male Partner"
Published by SLP
Pronouns
He/Him
Something I’ve pondered for a while, but what would be the effects of a Failed May 16th Coup on both the Second Republic of Korea, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, America and Asia beyond?

Now firstly, the Coup is very easy to have fail, the Americans didn’t support it (and some feared that Park Chung Hee was a Communist Sleeper Agent), the majority of the Military was cautious in it’s support and most waited to see which way the coup would go before pledging support and figures like Yun Posun only gave in in the final moments. Also the coup was nearly discovered several times and really it was only due to apathy towards the chaotic Chang Myon government did the coup manage to particularly succeed.

But if the coup was discovered, or failed etc. what would the effects be?

Well Chang Myon probably finds himself replaced within time, Korea’s Parliamentary system wasn’t the strongest and Myon’s inability to unite Conservatives and Reformers failed to deliver much.

I could see someone like Yu Chin-san a Conservative and former Resistance fighter muscling his way in as Prime Minister in time.

Additionally I have pondered this before, but I could see the likely outcome of the instability of the Republic, leading to the Military progressively becoming something akin to the Turkish military, with strong political power and generally being able to collapse government’s on memo alone.

Additionally, how does the Korean economy develop further on, whilst I do see Economic Planning being introduced in the 60s due to that being how the wind was blowing, I could see different opinions emerging on how Korea should develop and additionally how closely it should be with Japan etc.

Back