• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Thatcher Retires In 1988 and it’s effects?

Time Enough

"Enthusiastic Cis Male Partner"
Published by SLP
Pronouns
He/Him
So from I’ve read, according to Thatcher’s husband and friends, her plan was originally to retire in 1988 after winning a majority for the Tories and 9 years of being Prime Minister.

Instead she won another landslide and decided to stay on until 1990. So what happened if Labour, doing a bit better in 87’ leads to Thatcher deciding to retire.

Who replaces her and what effects would having Thatcher away in the 88-90 period would have on Britain?

Whilst I know Moore was seen as a potential I always got the sense it was in the ‘Oh they’ll be Thatcher, then [Tory Static], then Moore will be the late 90s Leader’

Someone like Howard, Major or even a wet like Channon or Heseltine seems more possible.

John Moore is in the middle of his meteoric rise in 1988, Major is still cabinet small fry, as is Howard. Neither would put themselves forward, without cries of "Whothey?"

Channon and Heseltine are damaged goods, as is Brittan, always too divisive.

John Wakeham is another compromise candidate Thatcher would back.

Thatcher would probably back Tebbit initially, and the parliamentary party would reject him, however.

Or even the Invisible Man himself,Tom King.
Tom King seems like a good 'Business As Usual' candidate who won't rock the boat.
John Wakeham is another compromise candidate Thatcher would back.
huh, he wasn't someone I would expect but it doesn't surprise me.
Thatcher would probably back Tebbit initially, and the parliamentary party would reject him, however.
I would doubt Tebbit would agree to anything like that, given his wife and all that.

Potentially a different rollout of the poll tax - and that could mean it sticks around - and depending on who's in, no joining the ERM. That means no Black Wednesday and might have a rolling impact on our relations with Europe ("remember how it was a good idea not to integrate too much and we did better?")

Potentially a different rollout of the poll tax - and that could mean it sticks around
I was thinking that, given that some of the most prominent supporters of it were One Nation types, I doubt it won't go away. Though it's fair to say that the rollout may not be as bungled or mismanaged as it was.
That means no Black Wednesday and might have a rolling impact on our relations with Europe ("remember how it was a good idea not to integrate too much and we did better?")
There probably isn't a recession to the same degree, given that it mainly happened because Major wanted to have Britain's rates manage with Germany's etc.

Back