• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Sport in Alternate History. Part 4: Sport and Politics (I)

Sticking to Greece neatly removes various domestic political issues & successes with Olympics and the 1980s Cold War boycotts, then adds the fun of "so we're giving money to the Colonels" during that period and a few Turkish boycotts

I like the notion of the first two 1900s Olympics that the event coincided with a World's Fair being held in the same city concurrently. Makes one wonder about a situation where that link was maintained and the BIE held a quadrennial or biannual expositions at the same location as either Olympic events.

I like the notion of the first two 1900s Olympics that the event coincided with a World's Fair being held in the same city concurrently. Makes one wonder about a situation where that link was maintained and the BIE held a quadrennial or biannual expositions at the same location as either Olympic events.
Or just a TL where the World's Fair was still treated as a bigger deal - although your suggestion might be one way to ensure that.

Over a decade ago now I did a quick scenario where Vesuvius erupts later (not sure I'd go that route now mind) and the 1908 games ends up being hosted in Rome and very poorly, so the whole thing just ends up collapsing.

Until after WWI when the Soviets decide to revive it. Complete with the cultural events. Oh and since they're insisting that the Ukrainian and Byelorussian and Turkestani SSRs are nations with equal rights to compete you get this slightly mad situation where Britain goes 'well we've got the Dominions, that's basically the same yeah' and Germany goes 'yes and we've got Prussia and Austria and Bavaria and so forth' and France is rushing around pulling together teams for Luang Prabang and Tunisia rather than risk the idea of a separate team for Algerie.

1692990472431.png

Until after WWI when the Soviets decide to revive it. Complete with the cultural events. Oh and since they're insisting that the Ukrainian and Byelorussian and Turkestani SSRs are nations with equal rights to compete you get this slightly mad situation where Britain goes 'well we've got the Dominions, that's basically the same yeah' and Germany goes 'yes and we've got Prussia and Austria and Bavaria and so forth' and France is rushing around pulling together teams for Luang Prabang and Tunisia rather than risk the idea of a separate team for Algerie.
I like this idea, be cool too if there was any precedent in the Home Nations fielding individual teams for international sporting events.

I like this idea, be cool too if there was any precedent in the Home Nations fielding individual teams for international sporting events.

I think it's the sort of situation where giving 'Ireland' a team then could very rapidly see 'Scotland' and 'Wales' getting their own and the British Empire/Commonwealth Games just sort of never happens because Britain's merrily sponsoring the North Rhodesian Team in 1948.

I think it's the sort of situation where giving 'Ireland' a team then could very rapidly see 'Scotland' and 'Wales' getting their own and the British Empire/Commonwealth Games just sort of never happens because Britain's merrily sponsoring the North Rhodesian Team in 1948.
Things could get very interesting for such teams that aren't granted representation, like Algeria as you mention but also if the Cold War still happens situations like OTL China, Germany, or Korea.

I love the idea of the architecture prize being linked to the Olympic village accommodation. That's really cool.

Back