• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Scalia lives

For some or many or even most, sure. But I assume it wasn't unanimously just an excuse; and a big enough chunk of them took that bit seriously to put Trump over the edge.
Yeah I don't see why we should assume it was ever a big chunk of people.

Don't think people who vote for president based on the Supreme Court have ever been a significant amount, certainly don't see why conservatives would abstain from voting over it.

Yeah I don't see why we should assume it was ever a big chunk of people.

Don't think people who vote for president based on the Supreme Court have ever been a significant amount, certainly don't see why conservatives would abstain from voting over it.

Polls have shown that Republican voters care more about the Supreme Court than Democratic voters.

I mean it would be a teensy percentage buuuut the margin of victory was slim enough that that might still do Trump in, especially since it could have been a real chance to dent the Roberts conservative court.. Of course you have to consider things like how liberals reacted to McConnell making up precedent to keep the seat open, or the cases that were resolved by a 8-seat court turning out differently with Scalia still on the bench.

I mean it would be a teensy percentage buuuut the margin of victory was slim enough that that might still do Trump in, especially since it could have been a real chance to dent the Roberts conservative court.. Of course you have to consider things like how liberals reacted to McConnell making up precedent to keep the seat open, or the cases that were resolved by a 8-seat court turning out differently with Scalia still on the bench.

1643235338118.png

The only particularly interesting electoral question with Scalia living in my mind is if this results in Kennedy feeling less pressure to retire and therefore no Kavanaugh nomination which polling data suggests was a decisive factor for Republicans keeping the Senate in 2018.

If it's even half a percent of the overall public, that makes Hillary Clinton president.
Why would we assume that it was only a one-way effect? There were plenty of Democrats motivated by not wanting to give Trump a Supreme Court appointment, not to mention those who thought McConnell's management of the appointment process was not something that should be tolerated. It's not obvious to me that the prospect of Trump appointing Scalia's successor animated more Trump supporters than Trump opponents to go to the polls.

Why would we assume that it was only a one-way effect? There were plenty of Democrats motivated by not wanting to give Trump a Supreme Court appointment, not to mention those who thought McConnell's management of the appointment process was not something that should be tolerated. It's not obvious to me that the prospect of Trump appointing Scalia's successor animated more Trump supporters than Trump opponents to go to the polls.

Polls have shown that Republican voters care more about the Supreme Court than Democratic voters.

Scalia lives, Hillary wins, Republicans get a majority on the court anyways.

When RBG keels over (there's no reason to think she wouldn't be a lifer), there's a very strongly Republican Senate ready to stonewall President Clinton's nominees until after the elections. Kennedy probably waits to retire until the next Republican takes office, meaning that the GOP gains a justice and replaces a relatively moderate justice with a more conservative one. For the Democrats to gain anything from this scenario, Scalia would need to die sometime between Jan. 20, 2017 and Jan. 3, 2019. Otherwise, Hillary's best-case scenario is getting through a very moderate justice.

Back