• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Review: Dillinger in Charleston

I do like how you've brought up the oft-neglected aspect of how readable the blurb is Skinny.

Thanks Alex! I've been blogging for a bit now and wanted to develop something unique so decided to look at the cover art; the back blurb; and the editor/editing in detail

The blurb won't sell me the book like the cover art, but if it isn't up to scratch then I'll certainly be less interested

Interestingly I had no idea trad-published authors (so not in this case, admittedly) had no control over the blurb, which is something self-publishing allows control of

@Meadow out of interest, do you write the cover blurb for SLP or is it down to the authors?

Thanks Alex! I've been blogging for a bit now and wanted to develop something unique so decided to look at the cover art; the back blurb; and the editor/editing in detail

It's certainly a different approach.

I'm reminded of the most unreadable things I've ever come across, which was when one of the Ultimate Warrior's comics featured a recap of the story so far in black font on a greyscale cartoon image of his face...

It's certainly a different approach.

I'm reminded of the most unreadable things I've ever come across, which was when one of the Ultimate Warrior's comics featured a recap of the story so far in black font on a greyscale cartoon image of his face...

Oh wow, how very 90s

The opposite is when I used to surf for indie sci-books, and there would be some awesome covers, but then the back cover would proudly declaim about "Commander Whitebread and the crew of the USS [NOT EVEN THINLY VEILED CSA APOLOGISM] fighting the evil Mayonnaisliens"

Great review.

The cover seems to be a clever way to do more with less. It's still using stock assets, but isn't just slapping a photograph down with the title pasted over like a lot of the worse indie covers.

Well I’m definitely inclined to give Mr Ciccone’s back catalogue a look off the strength of that review.

Back