• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Possible American Governor-Generals or ceremonial Presidents?

As a Japanese yank, I'm not too sure on how ceremonial presidents work. Can someone explain how they work?
They mainly have ceremonial obligations, but also have the right to veto any law they want, though almost never do this. Also they’re chosen by parliament, not the popular vote, and represent the state, and thus are expected to remain apolitical, except in moments of crisis.

I think there's a bit of an issue in that the overtly partisan nature of American public life and the overall structure of state and federal governments means that you don't really get the same class of non-partisan civil society figures that you get in Commonwealth countries and parliamentary democracies that generally occupy these ceremonial head of state roles.

Off the top of my head elder military statesmen like Eisenhower and Colin Powell (as you mentioned) would be obvious candidates. Maybe a few journalists, the likes of Walter Cronkite or John Chancellor. Diplomats, I can easily see career diplomats/academics like Ralph Bunche or Madeline Albright in such roles. Of course, in such systems you sometimes get nakedly partisan appointments, usually elder statespeople and party grandees.

Last edited:
I think there's a bit of an issue in that the overtly partisan nature of American public life and the overall structure of state and federal governments means that you don't really get the same class of non-partisan civil society figures that you get in Commonwealth countries and parliamentary democracies that generally occupy these ceremonial head of state roles.

Off the top of my head elder military statesmen like Eisenhower and Colin Powell (as you mentioned) would be obvious candidates. Maybe a few journalists, the likes of Walter Cronkite or John Chancellor. Diplomats, I can easily see career diplomats/academics like Ralph Bunche or Madeline Albright in such roles. Of course, in such systems you sometimes get nakedly partisan appointments, usually elder statespeople and party grandees.
I was also thinking of such appointments. Aside from the names you already mentioned, I also thought a politician with cross-party approval like Earl Warren, or centrist jurists like Merrick Garland and Souter (at least in the 90s), and people like Fauci, though even he has unfortunately been politicized. Maybe some of the lads at the Nürnberg trials as well (the Americans obviously), and people involved with NASA like James Webb.

The 19th century is very difficult to translate from a Canadian to an American setting, to a great extent not just because the Governors-General were British noblemen, but due to the fact that they were for the most part very much active in British politics. The Marquess of Lansdowne had served in Gladstone's government prior to being GG of Canada, and afterwards, he would go on to serve as both Secretary for War and Foreign Secretary under Lord Salisbury and Arthur Balfour. The Marquess of Aberdeen was an active Liberal politician both before and after his stint in Canada, as were the Earl Grey. The Duke of Devonshire was a Liberal Unionist, serving in the government of Arthur Balfour as Financial Secretary to the Treasury, and he would later, as a Conservative, serve as Colonial Secretary under Bonar Law and Stanley Baldwin once his term in Canada ended.

If we try to find as good analogies as possible from Vincent Massey onwards, though...

1952-1959: Harry Hopkins
1959-1967: Dwight D. Eisenhower
1967-1974: John W. McCormack
1974-1979: George F. Kennan
1979-1984: Wendell R. Anderson
1984-1990: Geraldine Ferraro
1990-1995: Howard Baker
1995-1999:

Okay, can't come up with a good parallel for Roméo LeBlanc, and I got bored there and gave up.

In fact, looking at the Governors-General that Canada has had in the past 70 years, they're all surprisingly boring individuals... In many cases, they appear to be little more than quite obvious appointments as favours for political reasons.

For the US, I think forner military officers would be popular. I could see someone like Gen. Milley or Gen. Mattis in a G-G role. Sufficiently popular with a Trump sort pf figure, but respected even by the Democrats (at least on appointment).

George Marshall, the "Organizer of Victory" would have been a good G-G choice if you saw a more outspoken member of the brass like Ike or MacArthur (God no) as too partisan. He was getting on a bit by the late 40s though, when he would presumably be appointed.

Back