• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Political and cultural figures who could've had lives/careers in different countries

I vaguely remember Winfield Scott being offered the Presidency of Mexico after conquering it, I think by some political notables in Mexico City who saw him as some kind of stabilizing force, or to save their own hides, IDK.

That's basically all I remember from Agent of Destiny. How true it is, I do not know.

A few ideas:

-Jerry Springer could have had an interesting career if his family had remained in Britain. Maybe he'd supplant Jeremy Kyle?
-Any of the Marcos children could make a career in Filipino-American politics in a scenario where they don't effectively get de facto amnestied, and might lead the more right wing turn in diaspora politics in the 90s (though they would for obvious reasons be controversial). Can anyone say State Senator Ferdinand Marcos Jr.?
-Tito, like many Croats of his generation, almost emigrated to the United States. Wonder what his life would be like as a Croatian-American?

-Tito, like many Croats of his generation, almost emigrated to the United States. Wonder what his life would be like as a Croatian-American?
General Joe Tito, who would lead US forces in Southern Italy and make sure that the US would participate in the liberation of Croatia and overall Yugoslavia. Would be fired by President Henry Wallace after disobeying his orders on not supporting anti-Communist Greek forces during the Greek Civil War, and would split from the mainstream of the US body politic when he blamed Communists in the State Department for handing over Yugoslavia and Greece to the Reds. In spite of his "Bohunk" "Papist" heritage, along with the fact that he isn't a natural born citizen he finds himself increasingly popular among many anti-Communists in the US. He can't become President, but this does not stop him from becoming a familiar face to anyone involved in US politics in the 1950s. What happens next is in his hands...

I vaguely remember Winfield Scott being offered the Presidency of Mexico after conquering it, I think by some political notables in Mexico City who saw him as some kind of stabilizing force, or to save their own hides, IDK.

That's basically all I remember from Agent of Destiny. How true it is, I do not know.

Fat Maximilian

General Joe Tito, who would lead US forces in Southern Italy and make sure that the US would participate in the liberation of Croatia and overall Yugoslavia. Would be fired by President Henry Wallace after disobeying his orders on not supporting anti-Communist Greek forces during the Greek Civil War, and would split from the mainstream of the US body politic when he blamed Communists in the State Department for handing over Yugoslavia and Greece to the Reds. In spite of his "Bohunk" "Papist" heritage, along with the fact that he isn't a natural born citizen he finds himself increasingly popular among many anti-Communists in the US. He can't become President, but this does not stop him from becoming a familiar face to anyone involved in US politics in the 1950s. What happens next is in his hands...
It would be Joe Broz, Tito was OTL a nom de guerre.

Didn't he originally want to have a political career? Yeah, and then there was the scandal in 1974. And even then he didn't give it up.
There is an alternate reality where Jerry Springer is known as a surprisingly leftist Senator and Bernie Sanders is known for his populist reality television series.

Peter Hain could have stayed in South Africa, ended up a cabinet minister under Mandela and Mbeki.

Alex Callinicos could have stayed in Zimbabwe, ended up an MDC MP until expelled with Gwisai for voting against the party line on land reform.

Essop Pahad could have stayed at the University of Sussex, ended up as Blair's enforcer instead of Mbeki's.

I have a classmate works for the US treasury, and could easily have ended up shadow finance minister for MDC/CCC if she had stayed. That said, probably better for the world she didn't, her kid sister followed her and gave us Okoye..

Last edited:
-Any of the Marcos children could make a career in Filipino-American politics in a scenario where they don't effectively get de facto amnestied, and might lead the more right wing turn in diaspora politics in the 90s (though they would for obvious reasons be controversial). Can anyone say State Senator Ferdinand Marcos Jr.?

Imagines a Marcos and Bob Dornan fighting over the same Orange County district....

There's the possibilty of Canadian and/or Cuban* political leader Rafael Eduardo Cruz.

Kristina Kenneally was born in Las Vegas, Queen Noor of Jordan- then Lisa Halaby, daughter of FAA chair and PanAm CEO Najeeb Halaby- was born in DC, George Papandreou was born in St. Paul (@Wolfram did that one on the other place).

You could have either Kenyan President Barack Hussein Obama, Jr. or Indonesian President Barry Soetoro.

*wouldn't be the first time Canada had a leader that was possibly Cuban ;)

Back