• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Parisgrad 1944

ChrisNuttall

Sorry about the title - I'm so ashamed.

Anyway, what if the Germans made a stand in Paris and/or the Allies decided to take the city rather than outflanking it?

Chris

Sorry about the title - I'm so ashamed.

Anyway, what if the Germans made a stand in Paris and/or the Allies decided to take the city rather than outflanking it?

Chris
Model got his two hundred thousand men and extra panzer divisions? That was allegedly his demand to even attempt to hold the city.

Its fairly easy to have the Germans demolish it on the way out and they did shell and bomb it out of spite but the garrison was inadequate and the field forces busy getting sucked into a number of meat grinder battles followed by a rapid rout back to Germany.

A prolonged battle in the city itself requires them to have forces that they just did not have to hand. If they do seriously concentrate in the city the Allies probably just sweep around it which pretty much seemed to be the plan before De Gaulle and resistance forced the issue.

I think the end result is Paris takes a beating but otherwise not much else.

Model got his two hundred thousand men and extra panzer divisions? That was allegedly his demand to even attempt to hold the city.

Its fairly easy to have the Germans demolish it on the way out and they did shell and bomb it out of spite but the garrison was inadequate and the field forces busy getting sucked into a number of meat grinder battles followed by a rapid rout back to Germany.

A prolonged battle in the city itself requires them to have forces that they just did not have to hand. If they do seriously concentrate in the city the Allies probably just sweep around it which pretty much seemed to be the plan before De Gaulle and resistance forced the issue.

I think the end result is Paris takes a beating but otherwise not much else.

If the allies circle around, I expect it's a bloodbath when the Parisians try to rise up, which is going to be remembered.

But otherwise yes, it's not going to make that much difference in the grand scheme of things.

I wonder on what kind of plans it would be rebuilt though.

Is Paris Burning? by Amerigo Vespucci is an excellent take on this scenario over on The Other Place. However ITTL Paris wouldn't be compared to Stalingrad rather,
it would be compared to Warsaw.

Is Paris Burning? by Amerigo Vespucci is an excellent take on this scenario over on The Other Place. However ITTL Paris wouldn't be compared to Stalingrad rather,
it would be compared to Warsaw.
Its good because it's massively plagiarized, sadly. Just like everything else he did.

But IMO you're right it's the most accurate take.

Back