• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Panel Discussion: Worldbuilding Part 2

Doctor Who internal consistency only seems to properly kick in once the Target novelisations start and you can now see what happened way back when (except not always what actually happened because the novelisations could change a lot of stuff!)

Doctor Who internal consistency only seems to properly kick in once the Target novelisations start and you can now see what happened way back when (except not always what actually happened because the novelisations could change a lot of stuff!)

I recall being told that when The Deadly Assassin was released, the fandom at the time (not online and consisting of fanzines and conferences) were incensed.

The Time Lords of that story seemed utterly inconsistent with the Time Lords shown in The War Games who had captured the Doctor and exiled him. Not to mention the 12 regeneration limit. What about Brain of Morbius, where five earlier incarnations of the Doctor were shown (or so it appeared and was intended by the writers of that serial)?

It's insanity! Doctor Who is ruined!
(etc. etc.)

I can only imagine the reaction if online fandom had existed then at Nation having the sheer audacity (or lack of care) to change the Dalek’s origins like that.

I imagine they got plenty of letters, as it was.

I admit I had to google to check that was real.

You weren't the only one.

I saw Roger Moore on stage being interviewed by his biographer in 2016. When it came to the Q&A portion the first gentleman selected from the audience took the opportunity to ask what connection there was between the Broccoli family and the vegetable of the same name. This drew mumbles of derision from the rest of the crowd, including a very loud "Seriously?" from the gentleman sitting next to me. Sir Roger answered as best he could talking etymology and the Italian regions, but I doubt it was enough for the askers likely intricate conspiracy theories on the matter.

Cubby changing the plot of Diamonds Are Forever on the fly because of a dream he had is such a bizarre move that could only come from a film producer. To think, if they had put it into production after The Godfather they would have gone all in on the Mafia as the villains.

Doctor Who and continuity goes back and forth. I've argued that the 2000s eras of the Ninth and Tenth Doctors are probably just as continuity heavy as the Sixth Doctor Era of the 1980s, but the difference is the 2000s were 90% using continuity established during the Era itself instead of pulling from decades gone by. There is a difference between referencing something that only fans 20 years ago will understanding vs. fans 4 years ago will understand, but the latter does lend itself more to bumping into the same people despite apparently exploring an entire universe.

Ah, those 70s Terry Nation Dalek serials between Day and Genesis, when he just rewrote spins on what he did in The Daleks as high adventure. Interesting to consider how the pepperpots might have evolved had he been successful in making use of them outside of Doctor Who and the BBC.

Interesting reading up on Pathfinder, though I regret to inform @Dom that despite his clearest instructions I went with the other lot getting into RPGs. Their starter pack was cheaper.

Back