• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Panel Discussion: Guns and Butter - Part 1

Gary Oswald

It was Vampire Unions that got us Vampire Weekend
Published by SLP
Gone Fishing
Pronouns
he/him
Discuss this article here.

So this is something new. It's an experiment, I'm delighted to put it up and hopeful we'll do more like this in the future, but let me know how it works. It's a convention panel essentially between 5 AH authors, only done digitally, and without an audience.

It was organised and hosted by @SpanishSpy and the panellists were @Coiler, @SenatorChickpea and two authors who aren't on these forums but we interviewed recently (Alison Morton and Arturo Serrano).

I have tried to make it clear who is speaking by colour coding everyone but let me know how that works and if you'd prefer another format. This is an experiment, like I said. I worry I've not done Liam favours with the choice of colour I've given him.

Part 2 will go up on Friday.

I look forward to the remainder of the conversation on Friday.

The discussion about less violent/less sexy/less marketable feels very true to life, and certainly extends beyond AH. I feel I've encountered it with some of my short story submissions over the years, where the products often seem contrary to the expectations of whatever genre is involved. It's frustrating to deal with.

There's one bit that sticks out for me, which is @Coiler saying early on:

Trying to force it, well-just look at the political scenes in Tom Clancy novels to see what that would probably be like…

because the points on publishing demand and everything, all valid, but if the indie AH scene is full of wargamers and war buffs, you'll inevitable get a lot of war and other stuff may not work if written by the same people, and of course that scene is also who buys a lot of indie AH. What you'd want is different writers/readers to start with (who are obviously out there because Roma Nova's selling to them)

The mention of Len Deighton reminds me that out of all the scenes from SS-GB that live rent free in my brain it’s not the action sequences but a scene in which the main character complains about how German’s drink Tea and how there slowly getting rid of the solid British brew.

Love that the quiet scene which showcases the subtle ways that the Nazi’s are colonising the culture of Britain but also showcases the main character’s reaction to that fairly well.

Back