• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Pakistan remains a Commonwealth Kingdom

Ricardolindo

In our timeline, Pakistan seriously considered remaining a Commonwealth Kingdom. What if it did? Would it remain one until the present day? I doubt it. Once the Bangladesh War of Independence happened, there would be intense British public pressure on Queen Elizabeth II to cut ties with Pakistan. In addition, once Islamists gained ground in Pakistan, they would certainly try to remove the Christian monarch.

Unless there's no coup (either the same one or equivalent) in 1958, it's not going to stay a kingdom even by the end of the 50s (keeping it as a non-republic for only two more years than OTL).

When was this?

The Constituent Assembly of Pakistan was an infamously incompetent institution which was so utterly unable to write a constitution that, after he dismissed the Prime Minister in 1953, in 1954 the Governor-General then dismissed the Constituent Assembly after a dramatic power struggle which saw a court case. This was, in many ways, Pakistan’s first coup d’état. Then a new Constituent Assembly was called in 1955, and in 1956 it wrote a new constitution. In 1958, however, the first President of Pakistan used the existing precedent to dismiss the legislative assembly, and he then declared martial law and ruled by decree with support of the military. Then the military subsequently forced the President out of power and established Pakistan’s first military dictatorship.

If this constitution making Pakistan a Commonwealth Realm is issued before 1953, that would butterfly away the first precedent for military dictatorship which would strengthen Pakistani institutions, though I think Pakistan’s Bengali majority and the horrific racism the Pakistani elite held towards Bengali speakers means some sort of institutional failure, associated with Bangladeshi independence, is inevitable. If that is not the case, and if instead the constitution is promulgated after 1953, then I think that would change Pakistani institutional weakness little. In both cases, in the long run, the monarchical link is unlikely survive.

When was this?

The Constituent Assembly of Pakistan was an infamously incompetent institution which was so utterly unable to write a constitution that, after he dismissed the Prime Minister in 1953, in 1954 the Governor-General then dismissed the Constituent Assembly after a dramatic power struggle which saw a court case. This was, in many ways, Pakistan’s first coup d’état. Then a new Constituent Assembly was called in 1955, and in 1956 it wrote a new constitution. In 1958, however, the first President of Pakistan used the existing precedent to dismiss the legislative assembly, and he then declared martial law and ruled by decree with support of the military. Then the military subsequently forced the President out of power and established Pakistan’s first military dictatorship.

If this constitution making Pakistan a Commonwealth Realm is issued before 1953, that would butterfly away the first precedent for military dictatorship which would strengthen Pakistani institutions, though I think Pakistan’s Bengali majority and the horrific racism the Pakistani elite held towards Bengali speakers means some sort of institutional failure, associated with Bangladeshi independence, is inevitable. If that is not the case, and if instead the constitution is promulgated after 1953, then I think that would change Pakistani institutional weakness little. In both cases, in the long run, the monarchical link is unlikely survive.

Ali Khan proposed in 1950 that only independent MPs could become Governor Generals.

Back