• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Not Trek Worldbuilding: Andromeda

"We're not Trek we're not (okay we'll acknowledge it)" also popping up in Red Dwarf -"don't gimme that Star Trek crap, it's too early in the morning" - and Farscape later in, and I remember a Warren Ellis ogn was promoted as doing Trek 'right' i.e. his way. Generally it was a lot of messier, earthier, less regimented and more cynical characters and settings, pushing back on the Starfleet format.

Though now you have so many of those that Trek itself has done it more to 'keep up' and has now pivoted back* because it's more challenging if people  do try better and cooperate.

* DS9 already doing it but with the angle that this is the grubbier side quest for Starfleet, and Roddenberry's Vision was still the ideal to reach for

Never watched Andromeda, though even I know Sorbo is a prick, so interesting to hear about its setting focused this way.

Not sure if anything else of this made it into Andromeda, but the character name Dylan Hunt originated in Rodenberry's 1973 TV movie backdoor pilot Genesis II. That version of Hunt was a NASA astronaut played by John Saxon who was accidentally put in suspended animation and wakes up several centuries later in a post-apocalyptic future. No series materialised, but there was a sequel TV movie in the shape of Planet Earth (1974) and Strange New World (1975), both of which also starred Saxon, but for the final film the concept was rebooted and the main character renamed Anthony Vico.

The point about the migration of the Perseids creating a vacuum for civil servants in much of the former Commonwealth brings to mind Eastern Europe after the end of World War II. Many civil service and other middle class jobs were held by Germans and Jews, and between the Holocaust and expulsion of the Germans following 1945 a vacuum was created into which the Soviets and local Communist groups inserted their preferred (politically sound) people.

"We're not Trek we're not (okay we'll acknowledge it)" also popping up in Red Dwarf -"don't gimme that Star Trek crap, it's too early in the morning" - and Farscape later in, and I remember a Warren Ellis ogn was promoted as doing Trek 'right' i.e. his way. Generally it was a lot of messier, earthier, less regimented and more cynical characters and settings, pushing back on the Starfleet format.

Though now you have so many of those that Trek itself has done it more to 'keep up' and has now pivoted back* because it's more challenging if people  do try better and cooperate.

* DS9 already doing it but with the angle that this is the grubbier side quest for Starfleet, and Roddenberry's Vision was still the ideal to reach for

Add Blake's 7 to the list maybe with its thoroughly dystopian Terran Federation and their logo looking similar to Star Trek's.

Add Blake's 7 to the list maybe with its thoroughly dystopian Terran Federation and their logo looking similar to Star Trek's.

The Tomorrow People (or at least the Seventies version) also included several Star Trek features. Most notably, a Galactic Federation that had a strict no contact policy with worlds whose species had not yet developed telepathy. And, while their ability to jaunt made it unnecessary, the TPs always entered and left their base on something that looked exactly like a transporter.

The Tomorrow People (or at least the Seventies version) also included several Star Trek features. Most notably, a Galactic Federation that had a strict no contact policy with worlds whose species had not yet developed telepathy. And, while their ability to jaunt made it unnecessary, the TPs always entered and left their base on something that looked exactly like a transporter.
FTL drives, telepathy, I'm wondering what other things might be the red/green flag for contact to an interstellar federation.

"The First Prescription states we cannot initiate contact with any species that has not reached the macaroni pie level of technological advancement."

FTL drives, telepathy, I'm wondering what other things might be the red/green flag for contact to an interstellar federation.

"The First Prescription states we cannot initiate contact with any species that has not reached the macaroni pie level of technological advancement."

Asimov wrote a vignette where the qualification was detonating a thermonuclear device. Mind you, the Federation had never encountered a species that was so stupid as to set one off on the surface of their own planet.

Asimov wrote a vignette where the qualification was detonating a thermonuclear device. Mind you, the Federation had never encountered a species that was so stupid as to set one off on the surface of their own planet.

"Wait, there was a greater than 0 chance that you'd ignite your own atmosphere and you still went ahead and did it?"

"Yep!"

"That's hardcore, bro!"

Back