• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

No 1953 Iranian Coup?

Time Enough

"Enthusiastic Cis Male Partner"
Published by SLP
Pronouns
He/Him
So, what would the effects be of there being no 1953 Coup or a much later Coup?

An easy way you could do this is having Attlee win a Majority in 1950 as he proposed keeping an economic boycott/using agents to undermine Mohammad Mosaddegh.

One undercurrent I could see is an eventual clash between Secular and Islamic elements of the National Front (similar to other Middle Eastern nations with Secular Politicians). I could see Democracy possibly being undermined but who knows Mosaddegh could allow Democracy to prosper in Iran.

Another discussion is what the effect of a National Front lead Iran would have on the rest of the Middle East?

I'm not sure about the effect of a delayed (or thwarted?) 1953 coup would be. From a United States perspective, the failure to knock off a government slated for regime change is really quite embarrassing and would likely be hushed up. Its bad imperial etiquette to advertise your failures.
As for inside Iran, a National Front-led Iran would undoubtedly be better for that country than what replaced it with the coup. Mosaddegh was near the apex of his power when he was removed.
Follow up questions:
-Does the lack of cheap oil from Iran curb US/UK military expansions by necessity?
- Does Mosaddegh hold onto his greatly expanded legal and administrative powers, and if so, how does he stop another coup attempt?
-How does this posture effect perceptions of the powers that take no sides in the Cold War--the third world?

I'm not sure about the effect of a delayed (or thwarted?) 1953 coup would be. From a United States perspective, the failure to knock off a government slated for regime change is really quite embarrassing and would likely be hushed up. Its bad imperial etiquette to advertise your failures.
As for inside Iran, a National Front-led Iran would undoubtedly be better for that country than what replaced it with the coup. Mosaddegh was near the apex of his power when he was removed.
Follow up questions:
-Does the lack of cheap oil from Iran curb US/UK military expansions by necessity?
- Does Mosaddegh hold onto his greatly expanded legal and administrative powers, and if so, how does he stop another coup attempt?
-How does this posture effect perceptions of the powers that take no sides in the Cold War--the third world?

The US only helped overthrow Mossadegh because the UK convinced it to. The US was more conciliatory towards Mossadegh than the UK was.

The US only helped overthrow Mossadegh because the UK convinced it to. The US was more conciliatory towards Mossadegh than the UK was.
If I remember the plans were drawn up by Herbert Morrison during his brief stint in the Foreign Office which Churchill/Eden dusted off and handed to the Americans.

So does this point towards a different policy towards non-Soviet sphere, non-Anglosphere countries at this point in the Cold War given the failure in Iran? Or does it convince them to try again?

So, what would the effects be of there being no 1953 Coup or a much later Coup?

An easy way you could do this is having Attlee win a Majority in 1950 as he proposed keeping an economic boycott/using agents to undermine Mohammad Mosaddegh.

One undercurrent I could see is an eventual clash between Secular and Islamic elements of the National Front (similar to other Middle Eastern nations with Secular Politicians). I could see Democracy possibly being undermined but who knows Mosaddegh could allow Democracy to prosper in Iran.

Another discussion is what the effect of a National Front lead Iran would have on the rest of the Middle East?
It also should be pointed out that Mosaddegh often got ill and had to conduct matters of state from his bed and had a hell of temper,being at times incapable of taking even the slightest of criticism and lashing out like Healey towards his opponents. Even he doesn’t get couped,he wouldn’t stay in charge for long,either because of his health or because the National Front falls apart due to the clash between secularism and Islamism and also because of how difficult Mosaddegh could be.

You make an excellent point--I didn't read closely enough! :) Mossadegh sounds like he was at the peak of his powers before his house-arrest. What could remove him short of a coup? He'd already granted himself extraordinary powers. Contrary-wise, invested with this power--what would he be most likely to prioritize, policy-wise?

Back