• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Max's election maps and assorted others

It's now probably about halfway done. As you can see, I'm trying to have a bit more of a network south of the river - the extension to the Hampstead line is based on an alternate proposal for the Bakerloo line extension, which would've also had a branch to Beckenham. I left that one off largely because it would've been too much of a pain to connect it up with the Bakerloo and Southern lines.

Oh, and I turned up a few of the line colours to reflect the fact that, unlike the map I drew the original ones from, the Tube isn't meant to be a background thing here. I may also end up changing the Piccadilly and/or Hampstead line colours to make those a bit more distinct from one another.

london-tube-alt.png

That should be everything south of the river and east of, um, Baker Street or so. I considered having the Victoria line go up to Chingford, but decided the frequency of service on the Chingford branch was just way too low to make that work - only four trains per hour. Compare this to the Victoria, which never runs less than 24 tph outside Sundays and night service, is the most heavily-used line on the Tube network counting journeys per mile, and was built with ATO (which was unbelievably cutting-edge in the 60s) specifically to allow tighter headways than had been possible before.

london-tube-alt.png

At some point I'm going to write up a full list of changes from OTL on this map - for now, suffice it to say that the vast majority of them are OTL extension plans. The line numbers, however, are my own invention, and I'll admit that 90% of the reason I'm putting them in is to help make it feel uncanny to readers.

London Underground
It's kind of provisionally done. Certainly this is all the actual lines. It's still pretty heavily weighted toward the northwest, but that's pretty much inevitable with anything short of the 1940s plans.

I might try to make up a full off-peak service pattern and add that to the line key.

london-tube-alt.png

Okay, here's a changelog of sorts, going in the order the lines are displayed on the key. Service patterns are weekday off-peak, and are served by eight-car trains except the ones marked "short", which are served by four-car trains.

Metropolitan - essentially unchanged, except that the Hammersmith and City line is still considered part of it. As with the District, the branches of the Metropolitan are shown with separate numbers on this map, and the only significant difference from OTL is that the Chesham branch is still run as a shuttle rather than taking over half the Amersham branch's services to Aldgate.

M1 (Hammersmith-Barking): 6tph
M2 (Uxbridge-Aldgate): 8tph
M3 (Watford-Baker Street): 4tph
M4 (Amersham-Aldgate): 4tph
M5 (Chesham-Chalfont & Latimer): 4tph short
Total mainline frequency (Wembley Park-Baker Street, not including the Fleet): 16tph

District - again, not a huge amount of change. As per OTL, the former branches to Hounslow and Uxbridge have both been taken over entirely by the Piccadilly, leaving a reduced service along the "spine" of the route. The Wimbledon branch is also taken over by the Chelney (see below), and I've decided the truncated branch to Fulham Broadway probably doesn't need a direct service to Tower Hill, so there's one less service than IOTL. The Olympia branch is also not reopened after the war, mostly because I don't want to have to deal with it.

D1 (Ealing Broadway-Upminster): 8tph
D2 (Richmond-Upminster): 8tph
D3 (Fulham Broadway-Edgware Road): 6tph
Total mainline frequency (Turnham Green-Upminster): 16tph

Circle - was not a thing at the time of my PoD (roughly the 1930s), but unlike the H&C I think there's a pretty obvious case for separating it out. Unlike OTL, it doesn't get extended to Hammersmith, and as such remains an actual circle line.

Clockwise: 6tph
Anticlockwise: 6tph
Total frequency (northern section, including the Metropolitan): 24tph
Total frequency (southern section, including the District): 22tph

Line 1 (Bakerloo) - gets the Line 1 designation, despite not being the oldest tube line, because I'm putting the original UERL lines before the others, and the Bakerloo is broadly speaking the westernmost of those. Compared to OTL, both ends are extended significantly, although the northern end of the line did go as far as Watford Junction until the 1980s. The Overground is not a thing ITTL, so rather than the Watford DC line being revived as an Overground service, it remains part of the Bakerloo. At the southern end, the long-mooted extension to Lewisham happens, probably some time in the immediate post-war era (hence why it has more stops than the current proposals), and the Bakerloo takes over the Hayes line as expected.

Watford Junction-Hayes: 4tph
Harrow & Wealdstone-Lewisham: 4tph
Stonebridge Park-Lewisham: 4tph
Queens Park-Elephant & Castle: 8tph
Total mainline frequency (Queens Park-Elephant & Castle): 20tph

Line 2 (Piccadilly) - as mentioned, it follows OTL precedent in taking over the District line services west of Ealing. In general, there's not much difference between the OTL Piccadilly line and the TTL one, the only real change is that some of the interchanges probably look different. The Heathrow stations are admittedly very susceptible to butterflies, but I left them as OTL largely because I couldn't be arsed to look into the history of Heathrow's terminal arrangements. Air travel is not something I like to spend more time reading about than absolutely necessary.

Heathrow Terminal 5-Cockfosters: 6tph
Heathrow Loop-Cockfosters: 6tph
Uxbridge-Cockfosters: 3tph
Rayners Lane-Cockfosters: 3tph
Northfields-Arnos Grove: 3tph
Total mainline frequency (Acton Town-Arnos Grove): 21tph

Line 3 (Hampstead) - okay, now we're getting to the fun bits. The Hampstead line gets its name from the Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway, which was the third tube built by the UERL after the Bakerloo and Piccadilly. Just as the Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton more or less immediately became known as the "Piccadilly tube" for short, the CCE&H became known as the Hampstead tube. After it was extended south to Kennington in the 1920s, it was joined at the hip to the City and South London, and IOTL the two tubes form the core of the Northern line. ITTL, however, the decision is taken to decouple the two lines again, thus allowing higher frequencies along their respective central routes, and Kennington station is rebuilt to allow the Hampstead to continue southeast. It takes over the pre-war planned Bakerloo line extension to Camberwell, and then continues to Herne Hill where it takes over the Crystal Palace line, terminating at Norwood Junction, and also its branch to Balham where the line connects back with the Southern. In the north, the line essentially follows the OTL Northern line, terminating at Edgware and High Barnet, though the Mill Hill East spur is... well, we'll get to that.

Edgware-Norwood Junction: 12tph
High Barnet-Balham: 8tph
High Barnet-Norwood Junction: 4tph
Total mainline frequency (Camden Town-Herne Hill): 24tph

Line 4 (Southern) - London's oldest tube line, and Europe's oldest electric underground railway (the Metropolitan and District existed before this, but ran on steam despite their long underground sections), the Southern was merged with the Hampstead to create the Northern line IOTL. As mentioned, they're demerged again ITTL, and the Southern takes over all service south of Kennington on the old line as well as the branch from Moorgate to Finsbury Park, which IOTL was variously considered part of the Northern or Metropolitan lines, and later shunted off to British Rail in the 1970s. ITTL, it becomes the Southern's main connection north, continuing past Finsbury Park along the corridor of the former Edgware, Highgate and London Railway. This extension was planned as part of the "Northern Heights scheme" IOTL, but was cancelled after WWII due to the creation of the Metropolitan Green Belt, which meant the planned housing developments along the line were no longer feasible. For whatever reason, this doesn't happen in the same way ITTL (my going theory is that, rather than or in addition to the new towns, the post-war Labour government decides to go for the cheaper and quicker option of building edge estates around major cities), and the Northern Heights scheme is built out more or less in full - the exception is the branch to Alexandra Palace, which I don't think would have the ridership.

Bushey Heath-Morden: 6tph
Finchley Central-Morden: 6tph
Euston-Morden: 12tph
Total mainline frequency (Old St-Morden): 24tph

Line 5 (Central) - here's another line that's almost the same as OTL. On the one hand, the western extension reaches its original end point of Denham in Buckinghamshire (cancelled for the same reason as the Northern Heights scheme), and later an infill station is built at Harvil Road to serve a housing estate of some kind there. On the other hand, the Chelney (which was planned largely as a relief for the Central line, then and now the single busiest rail line in the entire UK) takes over the majority of the Hainault Loop, although the shuttle between Hainault and Woodford along the mostly-rural north side of the loop remains part of the Central. The Epping-Ongar section is closed for the exact same reasons as OTL, frankly it was insane to run the Tube that far out in the first place.

Denham-Epping: 9tph
Northolt-Loughton: 3tph
Ealing Broadway-Loughton: 3tph
Ealing Broadway-Woodford: 9tph
Woodford-Hainault: 3tph short
Total mainline frequency (West Acton-Woodford): 24tph

Line 6 (East London) - yes. As mentioned, the Overground isn't a thing ITTL, and unlike the rest of it, the core East London line was considered a Tube line before being converted and extended. It's technically a sub-surface line, and indeed it used to run interlined service with the Metropolitan line, but I'm still giving it a number in the sequence reserved for tube lines because it's run much more like one, with a single isolated service. The original northern terminus of the line was in Shoreditch, at the station I'm calling Brick Lane, but even before the Overground there were proposals to extend it north to Dalston over the Kingsland viaduct (then unused but very much still standing), and this happens ITTL. As per OTL, its northern terminus is Highbury & Islington, but the southern extension, which follows mainline track to a much greater extent, doesn't happen, and service is cut back to the eastern New Cross station to focus on the interchange with the Bakerloo at New Cross Gate.

Highbury & Islington-New Cross Gate: 16tph

Line 7 (Victoria) - was the first entirely new line built after WWII, and it pretty much gets built as per OTL here. The only exception is the southern end, which is extended to Herne Hill to meet the Hampstead extension. This is an idea that gets mooted every once in a while IOTL too, Herne Hill being a very important interchange for South London's vast commuter rail network. I considered extending the northern end of the line to take over the Chingford branch, but decided that felt a little too crayonista given the low frequency of service on that line.

Walthamstow Central-Herne Hill: 26tph

Line 8 (Fleet) - was the original name of what became the Jubilee line, so named because it was to run under Fleet Street and cross the River Fleet in central London. This was kind of a half-arsed name, but the renaming was contingent on a) the line being scheduled to open in 1977, the year of the Silver Jubilee, and b) the Greater London Council being taken over by the Conservatives right as the station details were being finalised, so I think it makes sense to butterfly it. The line originally ended at Charing Cross, and was planned to extend down to Surrey Quays and Lewisham before taking over the Hayes line, but ITTL this route has already been taken by the Bakerloo, so instead I'm following the 1980 redesign of the line, which called for it to connect the new planned developments in the Docklands. In addition to the Overground not being a thing ITTL, neither is the DLR, which was conceived by Thatcher's government and approved pretty much solely because it would be cheaper than extending the Fleet/Jubilee line. The line splits in half at Custom House, with one branch continuing northeast to Beckton (and on to Barking, which was not in the original plans but was added by me) and the other crossing the river one more time to terminate at Woolwich Arsenal. That makes five crossings of the Thames by this line, approximately four more than any other now that the District doesn't go to Wimbledon.

Stanmore-Barking: 12tph
Wembley Park-Woolwich Arsenal: 6tph
West Hampstead-Woolwich Arsenal: 6tph
Total mainline frequency (West Hampstead-Custom House): 24tph

Line 9 (Chelney) - doesn't exist in any way, shape or form IOTL, uniquely among the lines on this map. As far as I can tell, it was first proposed in the 1970 London Rail Study, and since then it's reappeared over and over, either as a Tube line or (increasingly) a second Crossrail service that would take over mainline rail services at either end. I've followed what I think is the original alignment from the 1970 study, although the actual map I went off is from the 1989 Central London Rail Study, which includes the 1970 route as an alternative to its preferred alignment over King's Cross and Essex Road. As mentioned previously, the line takes over the Wimbledon branch of the District line (whose station platforms would need to be rebuilt to tube loading gauge, but that's been done several times before) in the west and the Hainault branch of the Central line in the east, and in between the two it connects two of the most notable blank spots on the Tube map (Chelsea and Hackney, hence the name of the line) as well as providing relief for the Central and Victoria lines, the two busiest on the network.

Wimbledon-Hainault: 12tph
Fulham Broadway-Newbury Park: 6tph
Fulham Broadway-Leyton: 6tph
Total mainline frequency (Fulham Broadway-Leyton): 24tph

Line 10 (Waterloo & City) - ah yes, the Tube's red-headed stepchild. The W&C is the second-oldest tube line in London, after the C&SL, but unlike that, it was never extended, and uniquely among the Underground's lines, it was bought out by the London and South Western (the operators of Waterloo Station) rather than by the UERL, remaining under British Rail control until British Rail was privatised. It's also unique in being closed on Sundays (due to pretty much all its users being City commuters), which makes it a convenient filming location - pretty much every time you've seen the Underground on screen, it's probably been either the W&C or one of the two closed stations in central London (Aldwych or the aforementioned Jubilee line station at Charing Cross). There's no change to this line ITTL, I just find it really interesting to talk about.

Waterloo-Bank: 12tph short

Last edited:
That's my country! 😊
I hope you’re staying safe through all this. It’s horrifying to look at even from relative safety behind the Baltic Sea.
Oh the pre-2020 raions! Are you planning on mapping the post-Euromaidan elections?
Pre and post, is the idea. 2012, 2014 and 2019 all used the same electoral districts, so it should be relatively easy.

Always surprised at the fact that the Subcarpathia raions are essentially identical to the districts introduced by Czechoslovakia in the mid-20s. Don’t know why but I would have expected the Communists to completely reorganise the territory post-annexation.

1) What do the asterisk-marked seats represent?
I forgot to mark them, but those are seats with disputed returns that held repeat elections later on.
2) Any idea the logic behind the non-contiguous seats, which seem concentrated in the Donbass?
Quite a few of the Donbass ones are the result of towns themselves being non-contiguous, because as I said before, Soviet local government boundaries were the stuff of nightmares. As for the other ones, well, they don't seem to have cared as much about contiguity as they did about not splitting raions.

Really good work! I remember when I started to get interested in politics, domestic ones first :)
Ukrainian is just as it should be, only the hyphenate is needed for 'кандидат-самовисуванець'.

I forgot to mark them, but those are seats with disputed returns that held repeat elections later on.

Quite a few of the Donbass ones are the result of towns themselves being non-contiguous, because as I said before, Soviet local government boundaries were the stuff of nightmares. As for the other ones, well, they don't seem to have cared as much about contiguity as they did about not splitting raions.
Makes sense, thanks Ares. :)

Back