• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Locked Room Crimes

I not only learned a lot about how these stories are written, I really learned a lot about Hammett - if you made him up as a fictional character, people would say "piss off that makes no sense".

And I found the clip of the episode I was speaking about... give it a watch and take note of HOW MUCH thought is put into the murder.

The reason I think every writer needs to watch Columbo is because of HOW strange this format of storytelling is, but also it shows the detail needed just "impossible" murders. As in when you plot a crime try and recall all of these little things HAD to happen.

Last edited:
I not only learned a lot about how these stories are written, I really learned a lot about Hammett - if you made him up as a fictional character, people would say "piss off that makes no sense".

I just liked 1930s detective films. I loved Thin Man and then I got into Maltese Falcon. That is when I learned about Hammett. He, if not invented then at least, perfected multiple mystery archetypes and mapped out pacing for such stories but also had politics which... I mean how does a communist write rich and criminals so well?

Back