• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Living the Twenties: M,N,O

One thing that this series has demonstrated is that there is a desperate need for something similar that focuses on the working class experience.

I don't have the time or the expertise to do this, but I would love to see something that looks at the lifestyle of my near ancestors.

A lot of historians explain this as the violence and brutality of the colonial space breaking into the European space as Armies headed by old colonial hands began to fight each other. All the nations started to think of their opponents in the same terms they thought of their colonial victims.
And just as importantly, they started to think of their own citizens in the same way they thought of their colonial victims. To quote Hannah Arendt in Imperialism, "Here comes the time of race as the foundation of the political body, and bureaucracy as the principle of domination."

Now, as for Orientalism, I'm not sure what is specifically 1920s about it--as the article points out, the fascination for a constructed image of Asia started in the 17th century and is arguably still going on today.

Back