• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Kodak Images

kodak

Migrating some stuff over from ah.com and Discord.

Presidents of the United States
1825 - 1829: Senator Andrew Jackson (DR-TN)/Secretary of War John C. Calhoun (DR-SC)

1824: def. Secretary of State John Quincy Adams (DR-MA)/Secretary of War John C. Calhoun (DR-SC)
def. Speaker of the House Henry Clay (DR-KY)/Chancellor Nathan Sanford (DR-SC)
1829 - 1833: Representative Henry Clay (NR-KY) / Vice President John C. Calhoun (DR-SC)
1828: def. President Andrew Jackson (DR-TN) / Vice President John C. Calhoun (DR-SC)
1833 - 1837: President Henry Clay (NR-KY) / Secretary of the Treasury Richard Rush (NR-PA)
1832: def. Governor Martin Van Buren (D-NY) / Edward Livingston (D-LA)
def. Representative Davy Crockett (I-TN) / Solomon Southwick (I-NY)
1837 - 1845: Former Governor Martin Van Buren (D-NY) / Judge Philip P. Barbour (D-VA)
1836: def. Secretary of State James Barbour (R-VA) / Vice President Richard Rush (R-PA)
1840: def. Senator Daniel Webster (R-MA) / Representative Robert M. T. Hunter (R-VA)
1845 - 1849: Senator Willie P. Mangum (R-NC) / Senator Theodore Frelinghuysen (R-NJ)
1844: def. Governor Silas Wright (D-NY) / Representative Cave Johnson (D-TN)
1849 - 1851: Supreme Court Justice Levi Woodbury (D-NH) / Senator William R. King (D-AL)
1848: def. Secretary of State Daniel Webster (R-MA) / Representative Charles M. Conrad (R-LA)
1851 - 1853: Vice President William R. King (D-AL) / Vacant
1853 - 1857: Senator Edward Everett (R-MA) / Representative Seargent Smith Prentiss (R-MS)

1852: def. Senator John A. Dix (D-NY) / Secretary of the Treasury Robert J. Walker (D-MS)
def. President William R. King (I-AL) / State Senator Edmund Ruffin (I-VA)
1857 - 1861: Governor Andrew Johnson (R-TN) / Representative David Wilmot (D-PA)
1856: def. President Edward Everett (R-MA) / Vice President Seargent Smith Prentiss (R-MS)
1861 - 1869: Senator James C. Jones (R-TN) / Secretary of the Treasury Thomas Corwin (R-OH)
1860: def. President Andrew Johnson (D-TN) / Vice President David Wilmot (D-PA)
1864: def. Representative Nathaniel Banks (D-MA) / Governor Elias Conway (D-AR)
1869 - 1873: Speaker of the House Galusha Grow (D-PA) / Governor John Brough (D-OH)
1868: def. former Governor Horatio Seymour (R-NY) / Representative William Gregg (R-SC)
def. Former Senator Henry S. Foote (ID-MS) / Senator Jesse D. Bright (ID-IN)
1873 - 1877: Former Secretary of the Treasury Robert C. Winthrop (R-MA) / Governor Joseph E. Brown (R-GA)
1872: def. President Galusha Grow (D-PA) / Vice President John Brough (D-OH)
def. Former Senator Herschel V. Johnson (ID-GA) / Representative George H. Pendleton (ID-OH)

Presidents of the United States (New York Government)
1877 - 1881: Lyman Trumbull (D-IL) / Vacant

Presidents of the United States (Washington Government)
1877 - 1879: Governor George McClellan (R-NJ) / Railroad Executive William Mahone (R-VA)
1879 - 1881: Vice President Executive William Mahone (I-VA)

IqgWtHq.png

Last edited:
NYC is an interesting place to put a Unionist government, given that it was a massive hub of Copperheadery in OTL thanks to the city's economic reliance on the Southern cotton trade. On the other hand, the Democrats are the anti-slavery party here, and alt!Tamnay is presumably still rolling along, so any secessionism would probably be diminished enough to make it tenable.

The Brotherhood of the Footboard is a very, very, cool detail. I love the name especially.

NYC is an interesting place to put a Unionist government, given that it was a massive hub of Copperheadery in OTL thanks to the city's economic reliance on the Southern cotton trade. On the other hand, the Democrats are the anti-slavery party here, and alt!Tamnay is presumably still rolling along, so any secessionism would probably be diminished enough to make it tenable.

The Brotherhood of the Footboard is a very, very, cool detail. I love the name especially.
I'm glad you like the Brotherhood, that was the original name of the BLET when it was founded and I based the logo on a common grave marker used by union members.

As for New York City, there are a few reasons why it ended up with different relations with the south. The south ended up industrializing more by 1877 than it did IOTL, spearheaded by modernizers like James Alcorn, Joseph Brown, and William Gregg who wanted the south to end its reliance on the north. These men stood in opposition to the fire-eaters, a backwards-looking group of Southern nationalists who wanted to expand the plantation economy and clung to it. The fire-eaters ended up getting their way until 1860 IOTL, but were defeated at key moments ITTL due to Mexico being stronger and a bipartisan consensus forming that the United States should not engage in wars of conquest. Many of the prominent fire-eaters of OTL ended up dying in filibuster wars in Mexico or Cuba. Because the Second Bank of the United States survived all the way until 1877, the financial system was much more stable, allowing for even greater economic growth than IOTL and giving southern planters sufficient capital to run their own enterprises. Ironically, although this economic model made the south more self-sufficient and sustainable as an independent country, it also served to defuse secessionism in the south by tying the fortunes of Southern planters to the success of the almighty dollar. The end result, though, was that New York had fewer textile mills.

In addition, Tammany Hall ended up attracting votes from New York City's black community, which was much larger and wealthier than IOTL by the 1870s in the absence of the draft riots that devastated them IOTL.

As somebody who has ambitions of going into that much depth someday, good on you for making it happen!
Thank you! Projecting the populations took some time for the United States and Mexico (the US is not much different from OTL although the population distribution is much more concentrated in the east by the 1870s from various policies). GDP is a lot easier to manipulate once you have a basic outline.

Now, a break from politics to look at an American pastime.

jldyeVt.png

n57938P.png

Last edited:
Presidents of Mexico (1824 Constitution)
1825-1829 Guadalupe Victoria (Independiente)

1824: def. Nicolás Bravo (Escosese)*
1829-1833 Manuel Gomez Pedraza (Escosese)
1828: def. Vicente Guerrero (Liberal)*
def. Anastasio Bustamante (Conservadora)
1833-1837 Vicente Guerrero (Liberal)
1832: def. Lucas Alaman (Conservadora)*
def. Anastasio Bustamante (Conservadora)
1837-1838 Anastasio Bustamante (Conservadora)
1836: def. José Justo Corro (Conservadora)*
def. Ramos Arzipe (Liberal)

Presidents of Mexico (1838 Constitution)
1838-1841 Anastasio Bustamante (Conservadora)

Presidents of Mexico (1824 Constitution)
1841-1847 José Joaquín de Herrera (Liberal/Moderado)

1842: def. Valentín Gómez Farías (Liberal)
def. Mariano Paredes (Conservadora)
1847-1851 Mariano Arista (Moderado)
1846: def. Juan Álvarez (Liberal)
def. Nicolás Bravo (Conservadora)
1851-1855 Ignacio Comonfort (Moderado)
1850: def. Placido Vega Daza (Liberal)
1855-1859 Mariano Riva Palacio (Moderado)
1854: def. Ignacio Ramírez (Liberal)
1859-1863 Melchor Ocampo (Liberal)
1858: def. José Mariano Salas (Moderado)

Presidents of Mexico (1861 Constitution)
1863-1865 José Santos Degollado (Liberal)

1862: def. José Bernardo Couto (Moderado)
1865-1867 Guillermo Prieto (Liberal)
1867-1871 José María Lacunza (Moderado)

1866: def. Sebastian Lerdo de Tejada (Liberal)
1871-1875 Manuel Romero Rubio (Liberal)
1870: def. Manuel Robles Pezuela (Moderado)
1875-1879 Porfirio Díaz (Moderado)
1874: def. José María Iglesias (Liberal)

*In the First Republic, the runner-up in electoral votes was elected Vice President.
The office was abolished from the Second Republic onward.
†Assassinated

Last edited:
I know this might be an extremely late and unexpected reply, but I quite adore 19th century America lists and this level of detail is excellent. The explanation regarding the impact of the Second Bank on the Southern economy is also really appreciable.

also gosh that Horatio Seymour portrait is mildly unnerving.

Back