• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Interview: Nicholas Sumner

FTR I hadn't heard it called 'bricolage' before either, but I'm going to steal that too to make my writing sound more pretentious :p

Drake's Drum is really a good example of how to tell a compelling AH scenario/story with mass appeal (WW2! battleships!) without sacrificing too much on the altar of crash boom bang Michael Bay.

Some of the moments that stuck with me:

- Doing the 'Nazis send the Jews to Madagascar instead of doing the Holocaust, so that's all right then' trope popular with clean Wehrmacht apologists, only to then cut to a visceral description of the horrors of what that would actually have been like.
- Covering 1930s British politics as 'footnote, Mosley in Labour, go and read EdT's book, it's great, I'm not going to do an inferior attempt at it here'. Refreshing approach.
- (If I am remembering this part correctly) The idea that you do the Indian partition during the 'peace of Amiens', and India goes neutral but Pakistan remains a British ally and sends troops to the second phase of the war. That's really not the kind of thing you usually see in 20th century AH, it just feels like the sort of slightly unpredictable event that real life is full of.
- In the third book, when it feels like things are maybe going a little too easily for the Allies, we have the moral dilemma that the US and UK have liberated the Caucasus, but the Soviets demand on having it back (and taking revenge on anyone there they don't like) in order to stay in the war.
- The opening scene of the third book with Khrushchev in Iceland.
- An end for Hitler that is different from OTL but sounds plausible and not derivative.

The Indian Rebellion of 1857 is really an underdone area for AH so looking forward to that new one as well.

Back