• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Interview: Charles EP Murphy

I’m ashamed to admit that I had no idea Events was a thing until reading the interview. Needless to say, I’ve now bought it!
I've not read it myself yet but the Amazon Algorithm keeps recommending it to me, so good going @Charles EP M.

(This probably doesn't help but I also use Chamberlain Resigns in a briefing talk I give to students about answering surveys and the dangers of review scores being driven by a few stupid people who don't get it if the mildly positive apathetic majority don't give a rating...)

@Gary Oswald , has anyone else given "Sliders" as their introduction to AH before in these interviews? Seems such an obvious one in hindsight yet it doesn't seem to be brought up that often.

There must've been at least one other Sliders, yeah, surely?

I also use Chamberlain Resigns in a briefing talk I give to students about answering surveys and the dangers of review scores being driven by a few stupid people who don't get it if the mildly positive apathetic majority don't give a rating...

Sickos.jpg

So Sliders at least accomplished something in AH by acting as a gateway drug for @Charles EP M.

Mentions a great subtle point in The Man in the High Castle that I think is under-appreciated where Rexford Tugwell is President from 1941 onwards in the book-within-a-book, because why would the in-universe author presume FDR would break precedent. Does bring to mind thay I don't think I've ever seen anyone attempt a thing where FDR adheres to the Washington tradition.

Another good point about the Biteback essays where some of them are pretty blatantly grinding axes be it turning DD into a Mary Sue or Woy eating babies.

Glad to see a shout out for "Popsy", a favourite from Nightmares & Deeamscapes. As well as for Who Killed Kennedy? I'm convinced there's a market for Doctor Who ATLs of this sort (I'd like to run with the original intent of the UNIT years as being roughly a decade ahead of broadcast and what that version of the then-future tells us about how differently things went in what was the present.) Only problem is doing them in such a way that you don't draw the ire of Auntie (or her beefy new Mouse boyfriend).

Am very interested in reading the horror novella mentioned as an upcoming work!

Does bring to mind thay I don't think I've ever seen anyone attempt a thing where FDR adheres to the Washington tradition.
Genuinely the only one I can think of is @Meadow and @Lord Roem 's "Make America Stand Again", and then it's just for the excuse so they can have Cordell Hull running with a 1930s version of the Hillary Clinton arrow logo.

Genuinely the only one I can think of is @Meadow and @Lord Roem 's "Make America Stand Again", and then it's just for the excuse so they can have Cordell Hull running with a 1930s version of the Hillary Clinton arrow logo.

Had actually forgotten it was Hull. I more remember the Henry Wallace as Joe Biden jokes, which in retrospect

I like this "paying for a takeaway" part of the interview

Another good point about the Biteback essays where some of them are pretty blatantly grinding axes be it turning DD into a Mary Sue or Woy eating babies.

The other standout axegrind I remember is the joint takes on PM Corbyn, one that is every right-wing view come true and one where he is a superman of political dark arts secretly winning. And that I accept as a cynical commercial move, you're offering product to both sides in a heated period. No such cynical gain for Daviestopia.

The alabama book will be damn good, and Events was really classy too! I'm fascinated to read your election TL - I'm very ashamed to be behind on Thande's. Love an election night TL
Be warned, it references the David Jason dub of Ultraman!
@Charles EP M. has clearly already mastered the 'do references so obscure that even the TL writer reading it back may have forgotten what they were' aspect of my preferred form of the election night TL format, so I am also looking forward to this.

As well as for Who Killed Kennedy? I'm convinced there's a market for Doctor Who ATLs of this sort (I'd like to run with the original intent of the UNIT years as being roughly a decade ahead of broadcast and what that version of the then-future tells us about how differently things went in what was the present.) Only problem is doing them in such a way that you don't draw the ire of Auntie (or her beefy new Mouse boyfriend).

At least some of the UNIT stuff isn't owned by the BBC but by the Derrick Sherwin estate (Sherwin apparently having gotten the Beeb to settle regarding his claim made some years ago that he wasn't technically a staff writer when he created UNIT, Benton, etc. for The Invasion after all). Indeed, Candy Jar is following up their Lethbridge-Stewart range with a number of UNIT works, the first of which started coming out last year. So if there's anywhere to try and pitch a "UNIT Unbound" to, it would be them. Though whether they'd go for it is another matter...

Back