• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Independent Seven Sister States of India?

Coiler

Connoisseur of the Miscellaneous
Published by SLP
Pronouns
He/Him
Is there a semi-maybe-a-little-plausible way with a late (ie, likely post-1980) POD, to turn the "Seven Sister States" of Northeast India into one or more independent, ideally internationally recognized countries?

My gut is saying "likely not", but I don't know nearly enough about the area or its history to make a decisive claim.

Is there a semi-maybe-a-little-plausible way with a late (ie, likely post-1980) POD, to turn the "Seven Sister States" of Northeast India into one or more independent, ideally internationally recognized countries?

My gut is saying "likely not", but I don't know nearly enough about the area or its history to make a decisive claim.
Making them one state has generally not been advocated amongst the leadership of the region - and if it was it'd end up as Yugoslavia on steroids.

The main insurgencies in the Northeast are low-level today and have historically been based in rural and mountainous areas rather than in urban centers. Historically speaking, Nagaland, Tripura and Manipur were perhaps most likely to have become independent in the 1940s, but Naga independence was stalled eventually (and caused much friction), while the kings of Tripura and Manipur chose to accede to India. While insurgency has been going on in Assam since the 1970s and 1980s, there were no serious attempts at forming an independent state in Assam. Arunachal and Meghalaya both are British creations without much historical precedent and nationalism in these states has mostly been ethnic. The main insurgency in Mizoram ended in the 1980s.

So the answer is no.

How would this affect neighboring countries like Pakistan?
Well geopolitically it would obviously be in their interests to have a series of smaller comparatively weak neighbours than one large strong neighbour. Now India isn't the Soviet Union or China so it wouldn't be as highly desirable, but it wouldn't be undesirable. I would expect rejoicing in Pakistan, glee in China, very mild pleasure in Bangladesh and Sri Lanka (only a very mild threat of potential Indian intervention) and possibly a bit of worry by the generals in Myanmar about becoming a complete Chinese vassal.

Back