• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Incredibly pat historical occurrences

It just seems rather ridiculous looking at the record of it to say it was ever fading out at any point.
I already mentioned the Wilhelm Gustloff, which had a far higher death toll than the Titanic... and the Lusitania, the Arizona, and the Bismarck... combined. Plenty of drama and tragedy in that one as well. I don't think it's ridiculous at all that it would fade out. It might be a footnote at best and certainly not the cultural juggernaut it is today.

Or for that matter to underestimate the obnoxious power of Cameron over the past two decades.
Don't get me started on my love/hate relationship with the film.

I already mentioned the Wilhelm Gustloff, which had a far higher death toll than the Titanic... and the Lusitania, the Arizona, and the Bismarck... combined. Plenty of drama and tragedy in that one as well. I don't think it's ridiculous at all that it would fade out. It might be a footnote at best and certainly not the cultural juggernaut it is today.

Don't get me started on my love/hate relationship with the film.
The Titanic doesn't have Nazis. Its not just about death count. But I wont get you started, I certainly don't think the story is that interesting anyway. Just a century of claptrap drama on it.

They did, but I'd imagine that was more out of propaganda than any meaningful staying power of the story.
The main theme of the Nazi Titanic movie is that the British/capitalism are terrible, and the Germans are awesome (a fictional German crewmember is the hero). The movie proved to one of the most expensive movies ever made up to that point, and the director was arrested during the production and murdered in prison. It was ultimately banned in Germany (although screenings took place in occupied countries) because Goebbels felt that the German people were too busy dealing with real death and destruction to enjoy a movie where things get destroyed and people die. So basically the movie was a Titanic disaster.

The main theme of the Nazi Titanic movie is that the British/capitalism are terrible, and the Germans are awesome (a fictional German crewmember is the hero). The movie proved to one of the most expensive movies ever made up to that point, and the director was arrested during the production and murdered in prison. It was ultimately banned in Germany (although screenings took place in occupied countries) because Goebbels felt that the German people were too busy dealing with real death and destruction to enjoy a movie where things get destroyed and people die. So basically the movie was a Titanic disaster.
...you're aware I've seen the movie and know its backstory, right? ;)

But I wont get you started, I certainly don't think the story is that interesting anyway. Just a century of claptrap drama on it.
Dismissing it with a contemptuous and incorrect comment is a good way to get me started. But, very well, this conversation is over.

Last edited:
Ugh, no, modern society and James Cameron have nothing to do with it. I REALLY wish people would stop bringing that goddamned movie into it.

It was Walter Lord. Thanks to two world wars and the growing threat of nuclear annihilation few if any remembered the Titanic. His A Night to Remember rescued the disaster from obscurity. It also gave it the window dressing of being some kind of symbol for the end of an age which is largely nonsensical in the context of what's coming in 1914. Without it the Titanic probably would have ended up like the Wilhelm Gustoff.
Yes, but the impact of A Night to Remember would have likely faded without said blockbuster.

...you're aware I've seen the movie and know its backstory, right? ;)

Dismissing it with a contemptuous and incorrect comment is a good way to get me started. But, very well, this conversation is over.
Why exactly are you so miffed at this comment? I'm genuinely confused. What's so controversial about the Nazi titanic movie?

Last edited:
That De Gaulle was called like this, in the first place. Also Pétain sounds like putain [censored]. And Laval sounds like l'avale which mean "he is swallowing it up" Avec Hitler on l'avale jusqu'au bout (guess what is swallowed, oh Gosh)

You can't invent such coincidences.

Both 1870 and 1940 campaigns were lost at nearly the same place, a high plateau near Sedan. In 1870, General Margueritte Chasseurs d'Afrique (cavalry) charged the Prussians in a desperate assault, and were slained. At the exact same place, 70 years later, a handful of antiquated Amiot 143 bombers of General De Laubier charged the panzers. Both leaders were killed, for nothing. :mad:

--------------

After the atomic bombing of Hiroshima, a handful of EXTREMELY UNFORTUNATE people fled the city ruins to... Nagasaki. Hence they were twice nuked.

-------------

In 1961 military pilot Albert H. Crews was a coleague of Neil Armstrong, both of them to fly DynaSoar. Then DynaSoar was canceled and replaced by MOL, which was also cancelled in 1969. Screwing Crews two times. Crews and all the other USAF astronauts went to NASA, but NASA eliminated those too old (above 36). Screwing Crews a third time. He is still alive, but never flew in space. :(
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_H._Crews

Most.unfortunate.astronaut.candidate. ever. Talk about bad luck.

One of the STS-51L seven dead astronauts was Craig Jarvis, who was working for Hughes, to deploy one of their satellites. Then he was bumped out of his mission to fly Senator Bill Nelson instead, then he ended on STS-51L without his satellite... and was killed in the accident. :cry:

--------------

Within the span of a less than a century (1770 - 1850) the Habsbourg-Lorraine royal family send four women of their marrying a French king or emperor to get a heir.
Four times a heir was born, and four time they were screwed by a popular riot, a revolution, or a stupid accident.

Louis XVI wife (the famous Marie Antoinette) was related to Napoleon second wife (not Josephine but Marie-LOUISE - mistake corrected). Both time it ended pretty bad for the heir. In fact Marie-Antoinette was Marie Caroline great-aunt.
Then another woman in the H-L family married a relative of Charles X (Louis XVI last remaining brother, 1824-1830), and another tried this with Louis Philippe son (1830 - 1848) who died in a freak carriage accident in 1842.

Louis XVI heir, Louis XVII, died during the revolution in 1795.

Napoleon heir, l'Aiglon, was screwed in 1815 by his father military defeat.

Charles X and Louis Philippe heirs were either assasinated or killed in accidents.

...and the Habsbourg-Lorraine never got a heir surviving and accessing the throne of France.

-----------------

The French revolution started in 1789, which was exactly 800 years after the first Capetian king (987) and 1000 years after Charlemagne reign (800) who was related to Capetians, too.
So in 1786 you can imagine Louis XVI thinking about these coming anniversaries, and boasting about the durability of the Capetian dynasty. Capetians yesterday, capetians today, capetians for the next millenia. Yeah. Sure, fat dude.

Last edited:
I'm just glad that they finally started diversifying and having prophets and saviours who weren't all Jewish men.

The dominion that contributed the highest share of its population to fighting Nazism was Rhodesia which famously declared independence and fought a war of racial supremacy for its entire existence.

To them there was no irony.

They were Proud British People fighting for the British Way Of Life, in their minds at least.

Related to this, the Apartheid South Africa regime, for all its shared practical ties with Rhodesia, didn't really like Rhodiesa for this very reason.

Rhodesia was as much Anglo-Supremacist as it was White-Supremacist.

They were Proud British People fighting for the British Way Of Life, in their minds at least.

Related to this, the Apartheid South Africa regime, for all its shared practical ties with Rhodesia, didn't really like Rhodiesa for this very reason.

And Rhodesia hated South Africa for its Boer supremacy and feared it would be invaded by them.

The whole history of Southern Africa as a whole in the 60s and 70s is an utterly fascinating thing.
Indeed it is, I loved taking a class on it in undergrad except my teacher was an idiot,I could have easily gone down that rabbit hole instead of Chinese history had it not been for him

Star Wars third trilogy first killed Han Solo, then Luke - yet in the real world, it was Carrie Fisher who died. Making the third film somewhat tricky - what will happen to Leia Organa ?

Wasn't that the main reason they let so few people in? IIRC, they wanted it to be ran as an Anglo country club.

Here are the four women I mentionned...

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie-Antoinette_d'Autriche (Louis XVI wife)
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie-Louise_d'Autriche (Napoleon second wife)
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie-Caroline_de_Bourbon-Siciles_(1798-1870) (Charles X son, wife)
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie-Amélie_de_Bourbon-Siciles (Louis Philippe wife)

Be them Habsbourg Lorraine or Bourbon-Sicile, they are all related, one way or another, to an elder Marie Caroline of Austria, who was actually Europe's Grandmother's long before Queen Victoria.

In 1981, a British prince got married, Liverpool won the European Cup, and the Pope passed away.

In 2005, a British prince got married, Liverpool won the European Cup (now called the Champions' League) and the Pope passed away.

In 2018, a British prince is getting married, and Liverpool are in the final of the Champions' League.

How is Francis' health?

In 1981, a British prince got married, Liverpool won the European Cup, and the Pope passed away.

In 2005, a British prince got married, Liverpool won the European Cup (now called the Champions' League) and the Pope passed away.

In 2018, a British prince is getting married, and Liverpool are in the final of the Champions' League.

How is Francis' health?

If Liverpool wins but the Pope survives to 2019 does that mean it's confirmed Harry is not the biological son of Prince Charles?

Back