• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

I just got a book club to read Agent Lavender

Makes sense; is that something you could farm out?

I mean, with e-readers having the ability to search Wikipedia and the Web for information, I suppose it would be rather pointless to do one, because it would inevitably only be a shorter version of that. I think they're really only useful for fictional characters you have to keep track of throughout a narrative arc.

Makes sense; is that something you could farm out?
Not really, no. I've always recommended to non-AH/political friends that they should read the book with wikipedia close at hand. That's the best way to manually simulate having an in-line resource, and the level of work required to make a list at the start or end of the book, all just so we could spoil the fact that

Buster Crabbe and Stalin

show up meant it really didn't seem worth our time. Someone who recently read it did tell me that they started off by wiki-ing people but stopped about halfway through and didn't really struggle to follow what was going on.

Not really, no. I've always recommended to non-AH/political friends that they should read the book with wikipedia close at hand. That's the best way to manually simulate having an in-line resource, and the level of work required to make a list at the start or end of the book, all just so we could spoil the fact that

Buster Crabbe and Stalin

show up meant it really didn't seem worth our time. Someone who recently read it did tell me that they started off by wiki-ing people but stopped about halfway through and didn't really struggle to follow what was going on.
Good point - I remember when Star Wars books started introducing Dramatis Personae as standard, they were of limited use considering they (sensibly) didn't mention any of the characters whose appearance in the book was a plot twist.

Back