• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Halifax as PM: how does he fare in a 1941 General Election?

Yokai Man

What it says on the tin-Halifax becomes PM,a peace treaty is signed,Britain is out of the war for a while or maybe even definitely. What happens then? There's no reason for the Conservatives to postpone the General Election anymore now that there isn't a war or a War Cabinet anymore.

How does Halifax do in the following election? How big are the gains for Labour? Is there a posibility of a split between the Pro War Conservatives and the Anti War Conservatives? And in the event that Halifax does win,how does he govern the country?

I don't think the Pro-war Tories would fare very well at the ballot box - lots of reduced majorities and lost seats, and possible deselections.

Also Halifax, being in the House of Lords, is very much an interim leader. I think the members of National Government would press for a Leader from the Commons before calling a general election.

I don't think the Pro-war Tories would fare very well at the ballot box - lots of reduced majorities and lost seats, and possible deselections.

Also Halifax, being in the House of Lords, is very much an interim leader. I think the members of National Government would press for a Leader from the Commons before calling a general election.
Kingston Wood would presumably become PM?

Kingston Wood would presumably become PM?

Kingsley Wood might, but he was also badly stressed by just being Secretary of State for Air, so might turn it down.

This could be Sir Samuel Hoare's big opportunity!

Also, the Nazi invasion of the Soviet Union would occur before or during the Election campaign so claims of any 'Peace in our time 2: Electric Boogaloo' would be falling on deaf ears by Election Day.

Last edited:
How does Halifax do in the following election? How big are the gains for Labour?
I have the feeling that Labour will probably end up in Government (either Minority or Majority), particularly if there’s a Tory split over Anti-War and Pro-War and there isn’t an CommonWealth ‘Let’s Beat The Fascists’ style party that emerges on the Left.

I have the feeling that Labour will probably end up in Government (either Minority or Majority), particularly if there’s a Tory split over Anti-War and Pro-War and there isn’t an CommonWealth ‘Let’s Beat The Fascists’ style party that emerges on the Left.
I feel that,like @Arthur_Phuxache said above,that the Pro War Conservatives aren’t gonna win many seats and that Hoare could win,abit with a smaller majority.

A Hoare Government would be interesting to say the least,with Hoare probably wanting to enact the reforms he wanted to do as Home Secretary before the war started like abolishing corporal punishment and the death penalty but being hampered by Events in Europe and also the Japanese starting a new war.

Back